Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I'm new here. And new to Linux. It's like a foreign language to me. Actually, no, it's worse than that. AARGGGHH! Anyway, I need to install Shake on my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question How to install Shake in Ubuntu...?

Hi. I'm new here. And new to Linux. It's like a foreign language to me. Actually, no, it's worse than that. AARGGGHH!

Anyway, I need to install Shake on my system (running Ubuntu Ultimate Edition 1.eight) but cannot for the life of me figure out how. What do i do exactly? I have all the files on CD, but now what? I just don't understand the complexity of doing something as simple as installing a program. Whatever happened to double clicking an EXE file?! All Linux install guides I come across for programmes seem like writing code for the computer core of the space shuttle. I didn't think i was an idiot, but Linux makes me feel that way. Can someone help me?? Many thanks...

Isn't Shake a Mac video editing software program that's used in the film industry?

If you have the Mac version aint no way no how you getting it to work.

You can get it for Linux Fedora Core only. You will have to email
    Apple. You also have to have a "workstation-class graphics card, such as
    NVIDIA Quadro4" to run it on Fedora.

"Shake for Linux is available through Apple Pro Resellers for $4999." See: http://www.apple.com/shake/

If you spend $5000 to get a program for Linux, Apple better help you at least install that.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Apple have really bad support for Linux. They are still charging $4000 for the Linux version because they want people to buy their hardware and use the $400 version. It's terrible really, but that's the game they're playing!!

So the Linux version of Shake will not work AT ALL in Ubuntu? Is that fact? Couldn't see that on the Apple site.

My problem is I just don't understand Linux. I'm totally new to it and it all seems a bit alien to me. Guides I've read about installing some third party apps make me feel like i'm reading Japanese!

Quote Originally Posted by Prothero View Post
    Apple have really bad support for Linux. They are still charging $4000 for the Linux version because they want people to buy their hardware and use the $400 version. It's terrible really, but that's the game they're playing!!

So the Linux version of Shake will not work AT ALL in Ubuntu? Is that fact? Couldn't see that on the Apple site.

My problem is I just don't understand Linux. I'm totally new to it and it all seems a bit alien to me. Guides I've read about installing some third party apps make me feel like i'm reading Japanese!
    I can't remember where I read about it but I remember it saying the Linux version is for Fedora Core only. I'm sorry I don't remember the link. Maybe if you have the install guide someone here or over on the Fedora forums can help you. I am just not familiar with that program.

Just Joined!
    Mmm, well I've been looking around and found a few people with a similar problem. It seems that it IS possible to get it working in Ubuntu, but from some of the descriptions I've read about HOW to do it, I think I need a degree in Computer Engineering to understand it, lol! I'll see if i can get my head round it...