Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I'm trying to install gtk 2.2.0 and I'm stuck on a config script error. The configuration scripts halts telling me that it can't find libX11. I'm a newbie to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help with GTK Installation

Ok, I'm trying to install gtk 2.2.0 and I'm stuck on a config script error. The configuration scripts halts telling me that it can't find libX11. I'm a newbie to linux so I really don't know what to do. I went into "/usr/X11R6/lib" and found the following files: libX11.so, libX11.so.6, libX11.so.6.2. I don't know if this error has something to do with pkg-config file. Here are the last couple of lines from the configure script before it dies:

Package xft was not found in the pkg-config search path.
    Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xft.pc'
    to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
    No package 'xft' found
    checking for XOpenDisplay in -lX11... no
    configure: error: *** libX11 not found. Check 'config.log' for more details.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! I could eventually post the entire config.log file up here, but it's pretty long.

**BTW, I'm pretty sure I already have GTK 1.2.0 or something installed...Running Mandrake 9.1 system. Should I first do an uninstall this? How would I do that?

Linux Enthusiast
    try to run:
    locate xft.pc
    to see if you have xft installed for packageconfig. Also, if you are installing pango and want AA fonts you are going to need XFree86 4.3.0
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Guru
    Do you have the XFree86-devel package installed?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

GTK configure: error: *** libX11 not found. Check 'config.log'

Well i have 'XFree86 devel' installed, but still have the same problem configuring GTK 2.10. Someone has an idea where this 'libX11 not found' error comes from? Thanks for reply,

Jesse Tijnagel