Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a portable version of thunderbird from portable apps.com running for windows. How can i import/or synchronize everything from there to my laptop running linux ubuntu?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thunderbird - Import settings from win

I have a portable version of thunderbird from portable apps.com running for windows.

How can i import/or synchronize everything from there to my laptop running linux ubuntu?

Ubuntu uses Evolution for email. So you would have to import what you have in Thunderbird into Evolution. Or if you like Thunderbird you can install and use thunderbird in Ubuntu!

if you want to use Thunderbird in Ubuntu:
    Enable all your repositores via synaptic. open terminal:
    Code:
     sudo apt-get update
    Install Thunderbird
    Code:
     sudo aptitude install mozilla-thunderbird
    You can find it after installation with
    Applications-> Internet-> thunderbird
    You will also have to configure it from the very beginning.

If you want to import to Evolution from Thunderbird:

find out where your emails on Thunderbird are. In Thunderbird go to Edit->Account Settings... and get the account you have to import.

Then select (sub entry) Server Settings and find the Local Directory text field. It will look something like this:
    Code:
    /home/user/.mozilla-thunderbird/gfdse2df.default/Mail/mail.server.com
    In terminal 'ls' this directory.
    Inbox.sdb is a directory containing all subdirectories and their messages that you might have to create under Inbox folder in thunderbird.

Inbox.msf is a file containing a summary of your emails for better performance.

Finally, Inbox file contains your mails in a mbox format. This is the file you want to import in Evolution

Now, go to Evolution in Ubuntu and click File->Import
    When the window pops up choose to import a single file and click forward again.
    When the new window pops up open a file browser and go to /home/user/.mozilla-thunderbird/gfdse2df.default/Mail/mail.server.com
    You might need to enable hidden files. Select your InBox File and Evolution should import the Thunderbird files. if you have a lot of subdirectories and sub folder in Inbox.sbd you will have to go through every file. Its the only way i know of, maybe someone has an easier way I dont know.

Just Joined!
    Thamk you for your response but i dont want to use evolution.I prefer thunderbird much better,so i was talking of a thunderbird2thunderbird synchronization.

So i guess that's not possible right?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Probably possible, but you'd have to know what files to transfer into the various linux folders, which in relation to thunderbird would be in your home folder (most likely a hidden one).

You would also have to analyze the files to make sure nothing would screw up while using the Linux version of the program.
    For firefox, a person can take the bookmarks.html from Windows and place it into the Linux folder for Firefox and have the same bookmarks.
    So, some features might transfer, but I'm not certain on that.

Quote Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
    I have a portable version of thunderbird from portable apps.com running for windows.

How can i import/or synchronize everything from there to my laptop running linux ubuntu?
    Try this, too.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/mis...x-windows.html