Find the answer to your Linux question:
Fedora 7 is running on my 80GB SATA harddisk. Yesterday,I allocated 10 GB for ubuntu & installed it. When i rebooted,the normal GRUB is gone & it shows (Both Ubuntu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Smile [SOLVED] Fedora & Ubuntu Installtion Issue

Fedora 7 is running on my 80GB SATA harddisk.
    Yesterday,I allocated 10 GB for ubuntu & installed it.
    When i rebooted,the normal GRUB is gone & it shows (Both Ubuntu & Fedora ) at boot loader & i can log into ubuntu successfully but when i tried to login to my Fedora It failed to boot.

Then i installed grub using Fedora resuce mode,I can see GRUB loader again but this time I can't find ubuntu option to boot .

Any idea ,what's happening in my system? and
    how to install Ubuntu & Fedora on same system?
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Ubuntu usually overwrites grub of other distros if you do not fine tune the options during install time. What you can do is log into Fedora, mount your Ubuntu root partition, look at its /boot/grub/menu.lst and copy the main entry to the /boot/grub/menu.lst of Fedora.

Ok...i will try that stuff & let you know the results ....
    and I think it's not good for ubuntu to overwrite my other distro files
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Installer of all linux distros installs GRUB in MBR by default. Most of distros including Ubuntu has option to install GRUB in Boot Sector instead of MBR.
    If Ubuntu GRUB couldn't boot up Fedora then something is wrong with its menu.lst file. Try to copy/paste first title of Ubuntu's menu.lst file in Fedora's grub.conf as suggested by daark.child.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Smile

Thanks daark.child & devils casper
    i modified menu.lst file in Fedora and added Ubuntu's entries Its now working
    -----