Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Still trying to get Encore webcam (0c45:60fc)to work with Slackware 12.0. Found the documentation for sn9c102 ver 1.34 and discovered that at least 2 modules are not being loaded. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

sn9c102 and webcam

Hi, Still trying to get Encore webcam (0c45:60fc)to work with Slackware 12.0.
    Found the documentation for sn9c102 ver 1.34 and discovered that at least 2 modules are not being loaded. Note: sn9c102 is the correct driver as it supports sn9c105 needed.
    One is usbcore. I see some have advised modprobe-ing v4l2 which I thought might contain usbcore (ha-ha) but I get a fatal error for trying it. I do see /sys/module/usbcore. I think this means it is compiled into the kernel. Is this correct?

The other is e/o/uhci-hcd. The documentation says which one is loaded (none here) depends on my USB host controller. It does not explain the dependency nor how I should find out which/what USB host controller I have. Can someone help with relating which and how to find what my usb host controller is?

The documentation defines 4 module parameters: video_nr, force_munmap, frame_timeout, and debug. It does not explain how to set these only the values they can take. Can someone help on this?

CONFIG_VIDEO_ADV_DEBUG is not set in the compilation of my kernel (2.6.21.5-smp). So I presume I cannot change either the SN9C1xx or the image sensor registers. But I did look in /sys/class/video4linux/video0 directory. It did not contain the red, blue, or green files. Documentation claimed there should also be: "reg", "val", "i2c_reg" and "i2c_val" files, these too were not found. Are these related to the above disparities?
    Thanks

Just Joined!
    You can look at the syslog by using the shell command "dmesg" and read to find out what your usb host controller is. Then, you can search the internet to find out what modules it needs. Then, you can load those modules with the shell command "modprobe <modulename>" as root.

There is also a newer version of Slackware, 12.1
    The Slackware Linux Project

Hi! This is a microdia webcam. You will find your driver there, i have a microdia webcam too and it works!

Cheers!
    Registered Linux user #471256
    http://counter.li.org
    Don`t give up so easy...
    calin

Linux User

sn9c102 and webcam

I have installed with Slackware 12.0 a sn9c102 ver. 1.34 which is supposed to work with Microdia webcams and in fact with this one. For some reason it is not working, except under XP and I want it under Linux. Before I install ver 1.48 from linux-projects I wanted to know if my current setup was correct so I could point a finger at ver.1.34.

Notice I am, maybe?, missing a couple of modules (usbcore and ?chi-hcd). I am not sure why (see my question). If usbcore is in /sys/module does that mean it is imbedded in the kernel as opposed to being a loadable module which would explain why I do not see it with lsmod? Since e/o/uhci-hcd.ko exist in /lib/modules/... why are they not appearing in the lsmod list ? Do I need to load them separately and do they have dependencies? Or is the Webcam howto out of date and maybe they are not needed?

Also there are 4 module parameters that can be set. Where and how do I set them IF(?) they need setting and how do I know if they need setting?

Lastly, are the missing files not missing simply because the Webcam-HOWTO documentation has not caught up with this version of Slack?

Why did not working the microdia driver? It didn`t compile or...what exactly happen? Try to download the driver again:

Code:
    $ git-clone http://repo.or.cz/r/microdia.git
    in your home directory, and:

Code:
    $ make
    # modprobe videodev
    # modprobe compat-ioctl32
    # insmod ./microdia.ko
    then you should see in:
    Code:
    $ dmesg
    microdia: Microdia USB2.0 Camera release resources video device /dev/video0
    microdia: Microdia USB2.0 webcam driver startup
    microdia: Microdia USB2.0 Webcam - Product ID 624F.
    microdia: Release: 0100
    microdia: Number of interfaces : 3
    microdia: Microdia USB2.0 Camera is now controlling video device /dev/video0
    usbcore: registered new interface driver usb_microdia_driver
    microdia: v0.0.0 : Microdia USB Video Camera
    You can test the camera with camorama:
    Code:
    $ camorama -D -R --width=640 --height=480
    Hope this helps. I am not sure else what to say.

Cheers!
    Registered Linux user #471256
    http://counter.li.org
    Don`t give up so easy...
    calin

Linux User

sn9c102 & webcam

bobescalin2005, thanks for the URL. I did go there, but I guess its my years as a systems admin but I want to know why the current configuration is not working rather than taking the approach of changing the configuration. That's why all the questions. If after a time I cannot get the answers I am looking for I will collapse and use the fine example you provided. Thanks

Linux User

sn9c102 & webcam

I just explored /sys/module/usbcore. There is NO usbcore available. I ran find and it only shows /sys/module/usbcore, a directory. Does this mean the documentation in Webcam-HOWTO is not in sync with version 12.0+ of slackware?

As noted above e/o/uhci-hcd do not show up in the lsmod output. Examining /boot/config, I see that these were configured so they are included in the kernel. So can someone explain to me why they do not show up when I run lsmod?
    Also, the Webcom-HOWTO claimed that which one was dependent on the system. Why then did all 3 get configured into the kernel? The documentation is getting confusing! but I recognize these are provided as they can be developed.