Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
My version of Linux doesn't have the program that automatically starts an application when a CD is inserted so as to allow me to insert a CD with say mp3's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    15

    Arrow CD application automatically starts stuff?


    My version of Linux doesn't have the program that automatically starts an application when a CD is inserted so as to allow me to insert a CD with say mp3's and automatically runs a player, so where do I get such a beast and what would it be called?

  2. #2
    oz
    oz is offline
    forum.guy
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    arch linux
    Posts
    18,733
    You didn't say what distribution you are running, or what desktop environment you are running on it. That information would be very helpful to anyone trying to provide a good answer.
    oz

  3. #3
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Córdoba (Spain)
    Posts
    1,513
    That usually depends on the desktop environment, as long as the hal daemon is running, that is. As someone said, your distro (name + version number) and your desktop (kde/gnome/xfce + version number) are critical factors to start diagnosing this.

  4. #4
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
    That usually depends on the desktop environment, as long as the hal daemon is running, that is. As someone said, your distro (name + version number) and your desktop (kde/gnome/xfce + version number) are critical factors to start diagnosing this.
    Ya I know its Slackware based but I don't think that any other info will help much if I need a desktop because I don't use one much if ever.

  5. #5
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Córdoba (Spain)
    Posts
    1,513
    Quote Originally Posted by RuffLiner5579 View Post
    Ya I know its Slackware based but I don't think that any other info will help much if I need a desktop because I don't use one much if ever.
    If you don't own a desktop then explain a bit more accurately what results are you expecting from such autoplay feature. In linux, even on desktops, autoplay usually just means open a explorer or play an audio cd. What are you expecting this feature to do on command line?

    The audiocd autoplay might be easily achievable by writing some udev rules, if that's what you want. I've never done it, but it should be possible.

  6. #6
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
    If you don't own a desktop then explain a bit more accurately what results are you expecting from such autoplay feature. In linux, even on desktops, autoplay usually just means open a explorer or play an audio cd. What are you expecting this feature to do on command line?

    The audiocd autoplay might be easily achievable by writing some udev rules, if that's what you want. I've never done it, but it should be possible.
    I have games, mp3, DVD, and much more that I would like to run automatically.
    I also had this crazy idea that may be this could work on ISO files mounted to some directory like ~/mnt or something.
    Any thoughts?

  7. #7
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496
    Quote Originally Posted by RuffLiner5579 View Post
    I have games, mp3, DVD, and much more that I would like to run automatically.
    There are ways to make things happen when you insert a CD if you're using a desktop environment like GNOME. For instance, there's a setting to open your music player when an audio CD is inserted or your multimedia app when a DVD is put in.

    On my machine these are set in the "Media" tab of the preferences dialog in Nautilus File Manager. I'm not sure how you would set them up in other environments.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

  8. #8
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    15
    When I use a desktop if ever its JVM.

  9. #9
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Córdoba (Spain)
    Posts
    1,513
    Quote Originally Posted by RuffLiner5579 View Post
    I have games, mp3, DVD, and much more that I would like to run automatically.
    I also had this crazy idea that may be this could work on ISO files mounted to some directory like ~/mnt or something.
    Any thoughts?
    Are you using X at all or just plain console? You are not using a desktop, I know, but now that I think I am not clear if you are using a lighter window manager under x, or if you are using plain console.

    If you want to fire up something based on addition or removal of devices you can use udev, but for insertion of dvd or cd disks, now that I think, you would need to do some serious hacking using hal. ivman is based on hal and is used to automount disks when you insert them so it might serve as a model for you, but if you are not using some pre-made tool then there's no easy way to achieve this outside one of the major desktops (which use hal just like I told you).

    Then you are going to need to program your own solution based on hal, I guess.

  10. #10
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Córdoba (Spain)
    Posts
    1,513
    Quote Originally Posted by RuffLiner5579 View Post
    When I use a desktop if ever its JVM.
    When you are in X you might have some luck traying to run the gnome-volume-manager. I know it's supposed to handle all that stuff under gnome, and it might work on other environments as wel. You need to have the hal daemon running, of course.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •