Find the answer to your Linux question:
Firefox crashed, so I had to kill it, and now I can't get it restarted. It complains that Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Existing firefox process preventing firefox opening

Firefox crashed, so I had to kill it, and now I can't get it restarted. It complains that
    Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system.
    The usual methods
    Code:
    pkill firefox
    or
    Code:
    ps aux | grep firefox
    kill <PID>
    just don't work. Even giving kill the "-9" switch, and executing it with sudo won't kill it!

I also tried removing the lock file from .mozilla/firefox, but this didn't help.

The output of "ps aux | grep firefox" is,
    Code:
    smolloy 12385  0.2  3.9 230412 81948 ?  D  19:04  0:04 /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/firefox
    Can anyone give me a better way to fix this crash rather than restarting my computer?
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

I forgot to add that this problem is with firefox 3 on Ubuntu Hardy.

Anyone any ideas?
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

Firefox and Firefox3 are 2 different programs...

Have you tried:
    killall firefox3

I think I've found the problem. Ubuntu 8.04 comes with pulseaudio installed, and this is screwing things up (for me and *many* others). It tends to lock the system when you play audio, since it only allows one program to access the sound card at a time.

Usefully, it locks up the system until you (hard) reboot. Sometimes it very kindly doesn't lock the system up, but won't let you play any more audio until you reboot -- and you have to reboot hard, since alsa is also locked up.

The Pulseaudio maintainers (the helpful people that they are) insist that this is the expected behaviour of their code, and not a bug. Which makes me wonder how to uninstall their piece-of-**** code so that I can actually listen to my mp3's without hard rebooting my machine.

*fume*