Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was having a problem with KTorrent in that its window one day disappeared from the desktop, never to appear again no matter what I tried to do. I just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Torrent programs not showing up on desktop ?

I was having a problem with KTorrent in that its window one day disappeared from the desktop, never to appear again no matter what I tried to do. I just got rid of it from Kubuntu, and decided to install Deluge from the package manager in its stead. Now that I've clicked on the Deluge icon however, I don't see it appearing either. I clicked 3 times (and I"m still not back in Kansas) each time looking like it was going to open, but then nothing.

I also just clicked on a torrent and I think it opened it, but not sure because again, nothing is showing. WTH is going on with this ? I don't even see anything in the system tray etc..

Is something corrupted in my file system or something ? I'm at a loss for what to do. Gnome was never this feisty. Also, where is the button or name of the app which will allow me to view my current running apps and system resources etc ?

doug

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Spot View Post
    I was having a problem with KTorrent in that its window one day disappeared from the desktop, never to appear again no matter what I tried to do. I just got rid of it from Kubuntu, and decided to install Deluge from the package manager in its stead. Now that I've clicked on the Deluge icon however, I don't see it appearing either. I clicked 3 times (and I"m still not back in Kansas) each time looking like it was going to open, but then nothing.

I also just clicked on a torrent and I think it opened it, but not sure because again, nothing is showing. WTH is going on with this ? I don't even see anything in the system tray etc..

Is something corrupted in my file system or something ? I'm at a loss for what to do. Gnome was never this feisty. Also, where is the button or name of the app which will allow me to view my current running apps and system resources etc ?

doug
    the same thing happened to me where it wouldnt show up, a simple restart fixed mine... and my torrent program doesnt show either, i just have to open the torrent with the program and then the GUI opens up and shows the download. so goodluck ^^

Try launching it from terminal and post output here i use ktorrent have never had a problem

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Is an icon appearing for it in your system tray, i.e. beside your clock? If so try clicking on it. Often torrent programs minimize to the tray because they run for so long they might need to be out of your way.

Just Joined!
    No worries fellas. Deluge is working fine now. K torrent never did present its self again, so I simply nix'd it from the system (partial pun intended).

doug

Linux Guru
    A probable cause is a window moving out of scope. If you use the tray icon to open the window it should show in the alt-tab list, if it's there, you should be able to use shift+f10 to open the window menu, which you could use to move it or whatever.

I agree that ktorrent is a bit buggy. I just use mldonkey, which supports many p2p networks, as well as torrents and regular downloads via ftp and http.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
    A probable cause is a window moving out of scope. If you use the tray icon to open the window it should show in the alt-tab list, if it's there, you should be able to use shift+f10 to open the window menu, which you could use to move it or whatever.

I agree that ktorrent is a bit buggy. I just use mldonkey, which supports many p2p networks, as well as torrents and regular downloads via ftp and http.
    would have been nice for it to have been that simple, but it wasn't. Nothing was showing up in the tray at all, and there was nothing on screen to be out of scope either. That would have been all too simple to deal with. It simply wasn't there. No amount of alt-tabbing did anything to show it either. The only indication of it being somewhere was when a torrent was finished downloading, and it would inform me of this. Ah well, all water under the bridge now.

doug

It looks like Ktorrent is a buggy package. I have used Ktorrent only once and had exactly same problem. Deleted .kde/share/config/ktorrentrc file and everything worked fine.
    I am not using Ktorrent anymore.

Code:
    rm .kde/share/config/ktorrentrc
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    thanks for the info people.It solves my problem too.