Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Yeah I got an error message when I pressed ''install package'' button. I use Ubuntu 7 and something. The wine is a deb package. What is wrong, what to do? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wine Error

Yeah I got an error message when I pressed ''install package'' button. I use Ubuntu 7 and something. The wine is a deb package. What is wrong, what to do? Please help me!

Or if wine doesn't work, is there any alternative way to install windows applications in linux?

Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubman View Post
    Yeah I got an error message when I pressed ''install package'' button. I use Ubuntu 7 and something. The wine is a deb package. What is wrong, what to do? Please help me!

Or if wine doesn't work, is there any alternative way to install windows applications in linux?

Thanks.
    What is the error??

Oh ok I was trying to install wine 8.04 in Ubuntu 7.04 but now I installed the correct version.

Hey how do I make wine to open exe files? Or does it make it alone? Will it make it?

Just Joined!
    When you open an .exe file you should get the option to open with Wine.

Right... I think it's not available. I installed wine 0.9.58 for ubuntu 7.04 and everything should just work. Should I check something in settings or...?

Hey, I see you did start this new thread. Good.
    But you're not giving enough information! Why not run a program in a terminal and see if you get any error messages? For example, I have just downloaded the ancient game Mercenary and have it running via Wine. Just clicking the exe file will get it to run. But if I open a terminal, write wine and then drag the exe into the terminal Window I get the following:

[
    Code:
    james@myhost ~]$ wine '/home/james/Games/Mercenary/MDDClone 31 EN.exe' 
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32f90c,0x00000000), stub!
    It works by the way!
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Manchunian, I tried terminal but I got the message "you do not have the permission". Also I found a funny way to run wine: it was not included in the right-click list of the exe file, so I decided to look for it on my own. So I tried every "wine*" thing in the usr/bin folder and I found out that the wineconsole is the right application (the wine) heh... And finally I can run the windows programs! I set "open with wineconsole"

one more problem... Couldn't install many exe files because the installation didn't copy all the files...

What a day!

Edit>and I canna find where are the windows programs installed!

Strange - you should have permissions to run Wine. Can you look in your home folder and see if you have a hidden Wine directory? Go to home, and click on the view button at the top of the Nautilus window. Look down the list and tick the box which says something like "show hidden files". The hidden files are the ones that are preceded with a . - so what you're looking for is .wine

Yes it's there. I think in home/<userName>/.wine
    Should I do something about it?
    And there is the program files but... Should I run installed programs directly from there?

It's only a shot in the dark I'm afraid, but let's try changing the permissions on the file. Run the following:

Code:
    sudo chmod -R u+rw $HOME/.wine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast