Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I started by reading http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...are-linux.html and ran in to some issues. I am trying to "compile aircrack-ng-1.0-rc1.tar" and "ipwraw-ng-2.3.4-04022008.tar" the driver for my usb adaptor I unpacked both files ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

compiling help with Fedora

Hello,

I started by reading http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...are-linux.html and ran in to some issues.

I am trying to "compile aircrack-ng-1.0-rc1.tar" and "ipwraw-ng-2.3.4-04022008.tar" the driver for my usb adaptor I unpacked both files in /usr/local/src/ and have 2 new folders the aircrack one ends in .tar.gz so i ran "tar -zxvf aircrack-ng.tar.gz" from the /src folder it printed a large ammount of information with no errors. after that I have a hard time understanding what i need to do next.

With the ipwraw-ng file after unpacked it the file I have ends in .tar.tar and the tutorial above did not say how to work with this file will "tar -zxvf (filename)" work with this? I am doing all this as the root user so I don't want to run a command without knowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skined View Post
    Hello,
    With the ipwraw-ng file after unpacked it the file I have ends in .tar.tar and the tutorial above did not say how to work with this file will "tar -zxvf (filename)" work with this? I am doing all this as the root user so I don't want to run a command without knowing.
    for the .tar.tar file try first to determine the encryption type as follows
    Code:
    file file_name.tar.tar
    if this returns as type bzip2 then you run what follows
    Code:
    cp -p file_name.tar.tar file_name.tar.bz2
    tar jxvf file_name.tar.bz2
    if it returns as type gunzip you do
    Code:
    cp -p file_name.tar.tar file_name.tar.gz
    tar zxvf file_name.tar.gz
    if this does not work post the commands you ran and the results you got( do not forget the result of the file command)
    Linux and me it's a love story

Linux Guru
    Tar, originally, was just a tool to concatenate files (mainly so you could put them into a tape), bzip2 and gzip support was added later. So, the tar file doesn't foncingly have to be compressed with either. If that's the case, you can just untar it with xvf, without j or z.

Once untarred, there should be some kind of README or INSTALL file inside the new directory.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close