Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running Vista Ultimate x64. I have a VM with CentOS 5. I have Samba setup very basically with the following smb.conf: Code: [global] workgroup=WORKGROUP server string=ROTT-VM-1 security=user log ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Accessing Samba Share in Vista

I am running Vista Ultimate x64. I have a VM with CentOS 5. I have Samba setup very basically with the following smb.conf:
    Code:
    [global]
    workgroup=WORKGROUP
    server string=ROTT-VM-1
    security=user
    log file=/var/log/samba.%m
    max log size=50

[homes]
    guest ok=yes
    read only=no

[Share]
    path=/home/rottweiler/share
    public=yes
    writable=yes
    Connecting from Vista, I see the computer name, but am asked for a password when connecting. If I add
    Code:
    map to guest = bad user
    then I can connect without using a password. However, I get the following error if I try to access the Share or homes folder
    Code:
    \\ROTT-VM-1\homes is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
    What do I need to do to be able to access this samba share from Vista without giving a username and password?

I have already tried setting the LAN Manager authentication level to
    Code:
    Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated
    and restarting.
    I have also tried giving the group and other write privilege on the share folder. Currently the permission on the folder is drwxr-xr-x.

The LAN Manager authentication level seems to be the answer everywhere I look online, but it doesn't seem to change anything for me.

Thank you for any help.

Just Joined!
    OK, I have found a partial solution. I installed another VM, this time Ubuntu. I set up samba the same way and it still did not work. After checking the default smb.conf I found that security=user is not what I want. So now I have removed security=user and added map to guest=bad user and everything works in Ubuntu. I did the same thing in CentOS and it did not work. Again, I can see the shared folders, but cannot open them.

My smb.conf now looks like this:
    Code:
    [global]
    workgroup=WORKGROUP
    server string=ROTT-VM-1
    ;security=user
    max log size=50
    map to guest=bad user

[homes]
    guest ok=yes
    read only=no

[Share]
    public=yes
    writable=yes
    I checked the versions using smbstatus and on CentOS I have samba version 3.0.28-1.e15_2.1
    On Ubuntu I have 3.0.28a.

I also checked using yum info samba and apt-cache showpkg samba and see the same version for CentOS, but for Ubuntu it says 3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.4.

It looks like this is a specific ubuntu version, so I would not expect that I could get it in CentOS. I think I'll ask on the CentOS forums and see if anyone responds.

If anyone here has an idea to the differences between these versions of samba or if it's a CentOS vs. Ubuntu issue, please let me know.

Just Joined!
    For anyone interested, the answer was in smbpasswd and smbusers. Or, more likely, with the security of the guest account. I do not think the guest account was being allowed access, probably to the home folder. I added my user using 'smbpasswd -a rottweiler' and I could log in and browse from my other linux install. Then, since my windows username was different, I mapped my windows username to the linux username in smbusers and added a reference to smbusers in the smb.conf (user map=/etc/samba/smbusers).

My final smb.conf is:
    Code:
    [global]
    workgroup=WORKGROUP
    server string=ROTT-VM-1
    max log size=50
    username map=/etc/samba/smbusers

[homes]
    guest ok=yes
    read only=no

[Share]
    browseable=yes
    public=yes
    writable=yes
    My smbusers file is:
    Code:
    # Unix_name = SMB_name1 SMB_name2 ...
    root = administrator admin
    nobody = guest pcguest smbguest
    rottweiler = "Windows Username"
    Make sure to use quotes if your windows username has a space.

I still don't know why this works without this in Ubuntu and not CentOS, maybe the guest account is set up differently. I will look into that some other time, for now it works for me.

Figuring this out on my own was a good lesson, but I hope this can help someone else.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close