Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am running RH 9.0 with a KDE GUI, and when I click on the mozilla icon on the task bar, when I first start up the machine, it won't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mozilla won't start until I click it 3 or 4 times

I am running RH 9.0 with a KDE GUI, and when I click on the mozilla icon on the task bar, when I first start up the machine, it won't load, it just gives me that icon on the mouse cursor like it is doing something, then it goes away. I click on the icon maybe 4, 5 times, and nothing happens, then one more click and it comes up like normal, and each subsequent click on the icon is normal. Does anybody have any idea what is going on?

Linux Guru
    Run it from a terminal instead and see if it says something.

Linux Enthusiast
    red hat 8.0 used to do that all the time.

check to make sure the target executable is right for the icon. I like Dolda's idea too, try it in the terminal.

should be /usr/bin/mozilla

or /usr/local/bin/mozilla

do a "whereis mozilla" to find out for sure

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    How do I change the location if it isn't right?

I right clicked on the icon, and checked it's properties. The ones that I am looking at are

which looks like the icon location, or basically the menu bar location in a directory format.

then there is Points to: /usr/share/applications/redhat-web.desktop

hmm? I'm not sure about that one

Also if I go to the Execute command, what do those field represent, is this tab the right tab to go to or is it the General Tab.

Anyway, the Execute tab has command: mozilla %u

what I'll have to look, but I am guess that is something to do with running mozilla as the current user?

Linux Guru
    Well, like I said, start it in a terminal and see if it says something.

Just Joined!
    I tried starting it in the terminal and nothing erroneous happened.

I am not sure if it makes a difference, but this was after the initial 4 or 5 clicks.

So I started the system, clicked the icon a few times, and nothing happens. Finally I click the icon one more time and mozilla opens up. Then I opened up a terminal and ran it from there, and nothing happens...go figure, and clues?

Linux Guru
    strace it. (Run "strace mozilla")

Just Joined!
    I ran strace mozilla, and it went hog wild...like 50 screens worth of, as far as I can tell, gibberish. That can't be what you're looking for right?

Linux Guru
    That is indeed what I was looking for. I didn't expect it to be just that much, though, since it didn't say anything on startup. Just run "strace -o strace.dump mozilla". That will put all the output in strace.dump. Do you have a server or something to put it on? If you don't, just mail it to me, and I'll put it on my server.

Linux Guru
    OK, here it is: http://www.dolda2000.cjb.net/~fredrik/dsq.strace.
    Mainly, I wanted to see if there was a failed syscall, or termination due to a signal or similar, but it doesn't seem so.
    There might be something wrong with your mozilla profile. Try "mv ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla-bk", and see if it makes it better. That will rename your existing mozilla profile, so that mozilla won't find it. If you want it back, do "rm -rf ~/.mozilla; mv ~/.mozilla-bk ~/.mozilla".
    You could also try upgrading to the latest version of mozilla and see if that helps anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast