Find the answer to your Linux question:
You know how when you run a program, usually there is a program representation on the taskbar. When the window is highlighted, the taskbar representation is depressed. When the window ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Nothing on my taskbar, and how to make mozilla not disappear

You know how when you run a program, usually there is a program representation on the taskbar. When the window is highlighted, the taskbar representation is depressed. When the window is not active the taskbar representation is elevated. Well I am using RH 9.0 with KDE, and I don't get anything on my taskbar. How do I change my settings so that I all my programs are acutally represented on the taskbar so that I can jump to them easily with a mouse?

Also because because there is no taskbar representation when I minimize a window, the window disappears, and I don't know how to maximize or restore the window anymore. Can somebody please help me.

Linux Guru
    In both GNOME and KDE, these taskbar buttons are implemented through a panel applet. Do you have such an applet on your panel?

Just Joined!
    Hmm, interesting implementation if nothing else. But I guess not, because I don't have any buttons on the taskbar. How do find out for sure, and also how do I set it up so that I do. If you can give me a keyword to look up I'd appreciate that too, if you didn't want to type it all out.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I don't really know KDE very well, but this is the way it works in GNOME, and I'd guess that it is quite similar in KDE as well. Just right click your panel, choose "Add applet" or "Add to panel" or something like that, then find something called "Window list" or something similar.

Just Joined!
    Thanks...kinda...KDE does have a windowslist applet, but it is way different. it is like an icon that is menu object, which when clicked opens up like a menu bar of all your open applications. Kind of like your KDE Start Applications icon, but instead of applications, it lists all your open apps. But I'll fiddle around, thanks.

Linux Enthusiast
    yeah, I remember that was weird about KDE, they didn't automatically put a tasklist in your panel. But now that I think about it, I don't think GNOME2 did either. What is up with that? Seriously I think that is one of the most common Windowsisms that people want (as opposed to Mac's idea of the dropdown that he spoke of)
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.