Find the answer to your Linux question:
Heya guys, Fedora 7 and I dropped Firefox 3 into a folder to use. It's working fine, but I can't remember how to get my plugins to work with a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

non-standard FF browser install: Restoring flash capabilities

Heya guys,

Fedora 7 and I dropped Firefox 3 into a folder to use. It's working fine, but I can't remember how to get my plugins to work with a non-standard installation of the browser

Any help would be greatly appreciated. A www without flash & java is a cold and uninteresting place.

thanks,
    json
    Aloof linux user #whatever.

I tested off the charts for MENSA. Unfortunately, it was off the wrong end of the chart.

When I was installing Java manually quite often (which wasn't very long ago), these instructions courtesy of worker201on these forums, never failed.

Flash, IIRC, is more straightforward - download the .tar.gz from the adobe website, extract it and then run the "flashplayer-installer" file.

HTH
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

Hi there Giles and thanks very much for your help.

My issue is that both are already installed and working properly in the pre-packaged browsers. I don't think installing them a second time will resolve the issue because they won't know that there's a non-standard browser hanging out /over/here.

I need to just figure out how to get this Firefox install to use the java and flash that's already there, whether it's by simlinking some .so files, moving a config file, or whatever else I might need to do.

thanks,
    json

I tested off the charts for MENSA. Unfortunately, it was off the wrong end of the chart.

Is the silence caused by the fact that:

1) There is no help. You can only install one browser in each OS.

2) I'm visiting a support forum full of Apathetic Anonymous members.

3) In 93 posts, I've managed to ostracize myself and my scarlet letter tells prospective respondants to keep on walking.

If it's three, this will be a record. Previously, it's taken me over 200 posts to piss a whole community off.

I'll be happy to post an address for any award that you may be looking to send to me.

thanks,
    json

At least AFAIC, the silence is because I hadn't visited the forums since your previous post .

My issue is that both are already installed and working properly in the pre-packaged browsers. I don't think installing them a second time will resolve the issue because they won't know that there's a non-standard browser hanging out /over/here.
    OK - sorry to misunderstand you. The Java instructions I linked to contain a section on symlinks - I'm fairly sure the same will apply. I guess first thing to do is locate libjavaplugin - since you presumably installed java using your package manager, it may not be in the place that the tutorial expects. Then what I'd do would be to run locate firefox | grep plugins, then look at the output for any directories that don't have a link to the java plugin already and put a link in. You might need to do the same for locate mozilla | grep plugins, perhaps.

I suspect the same process will apply for flashplayer:
    Code:
    locate libflashplayer
    locate firefox | grep plugins
    then cd into any relevant directories
    ln -s /path/to/libflashplayer.so ./libflashplayer.so
    HTH
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"

Hi there Giles, and thanks very much for the reply. Just having a little fun with my bump.

I'll try your suggestions as soon as I get back to the house and very much appreciate your time. I'm trying to keep f7 operational and up to date until I get a chance to try 10 and decide whether I'll be moving to another OS.

thanks,
    json

Hi there Giles,

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. locating and symlinking got me up and running with no effort. I can't thank you enough for your help.

thanks,
    json

No problem at all - glad to hear it's sorted.

Giles