Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Is there any other program besides Amarok for listening to music/mp3s? I absolutely despise Amarok and wish to use an alternate program. Seriously, that program shouldn't even be an option. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

Alternative to Amarok?

Is there any other program besides Amarok for listening to music/mp3s?

I absolutely despise Amarok and wish to use an alternate program.

Seriously, that program shouldn't even be an option. It's junk.

It's particularly bad if you are trying to use your mp3 player in MTP mode. Anyway, please suggest another program that can be used in KDE.

There are tons of options.

XMMS used to be a major offering: it was later forked by BMP (now BMPx), which was itself forked into Audacious, which is what I personally use. It's your basic music player, and works pretty well.

If you're looking for something with a library, you could try seeing if you can run Rhythmbox under KDE: it uses gstreamer, but I don't know how tightly that's coupled into Gnome. There's also Banshee, which I've not used, but have heard of.

Finally, there are always MPlayer and VLC. Both of them do both video and audio, and can be very powerful.

You can try any of these :

1. VLC Player
    2. Beep Media Player
    3. Juk
    4. Banshee
    5. Rhythmbox
    6. Helix
    7. XMMS
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by kopete View Post
    Seriously, that program shouldn't even be an option. It's junk.
    When I was new to Linux, I was still addicted to WinAmp-like players, so it took almost 1.5 years to switch to Amarok.

I've used Xmms, as it was similar to Winamp, but after that I've realized that I was wrong.
    Amarok is the best audio managing application ever:

1. It catalogizes your sound files
    2. You have direct lyric display
    3. Access to the album covers, wiki-pages etc.
    4. Saving and directly burning playlists
    5. Playlist cover printing, and lyric to .txt saving, format conversion with plug-ins.
    7. CD and iPod handling.

It maybe lacks a candy and skinnable frontend, but nothing else.

There are good reasons for Amarok to be installed by default on almost all distributions.
    You should always check all the possibilities of an application, before you create opinion.
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Linux Engineer
    I use Rhthmbox on my Mandriva KDE install. Works a treat, mtp connects straight off for drag and drop, also able to burn cds with it.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Guru
    I wouldn't say Amarok is junk. It's a power do-all-things kind of application. I personally don't use it, though I used to in the past, but I think it's a great application. It's not for everyone, though.

There are lots of alternatives for almost any user, if you don't mind using console applications, I highly suggest moc, which is fantastic and very lightweight, while being very featureful and customizable.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I also think Amarok is a great application. I also like Exaile and Banshee.

Banned
    Yeah, Amarok is great if you are just listening to mp3s or general audio. Using an mp3 player in MSC mode will work but that will work in any media player.

But, if you try to listen to a mp3 player in MTP mode? A much different story!

Does anyone use their MP3 player in MTP mode in Linux? If so, which app do you use and how did you do it (i.e. configure it)?

I tried using Amarok and a Sandisk Sansa e200 series player with no success. In fact, I tried in 3 different distros. In one, I found a bug in Amarok and it was frozen on 'building collection database' forever. That's in the 'Context' button at the top left of Amarok. Even if I restarted the program or rebooted and then started Amarok, it was still stuck there. Sorry, but that program is super frustrating if you try to really use it. Actually, thinking about it, it is actually the SECOND time that has happend. You wonder why I think Amarok is a piece of $%#&!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
    I use Rhthmbox on my Mandriva KDE install. Works a treat, mtp connects straight off for drag and drop, also able to burn cds with it.
    What player do you use? I tried in Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10 on a LiveDVD but I couldn't configure RhythmBox to play my mp3s in MTP mode. What portable mp3 player do you have? I have a Sandisk Sansa e200 series player that is compatible in Linux and has both MTP and MSC modes. I was able to use the MTP mode and get a list of the music but I could neither play any or move/copy them anywhere. I could not make a library list out of any of the songs etc. etc.

I also had to install mtp-tools and run 'mtp-detect' before I got anywhere.

Something that may interest you

Sandisk Sansa Problems - Page 2 - Ubuntu Forums
    Anyway, why don't you switch your player to MSC mode and use it without problems? Why is MTP so necessary?
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast