Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, The other day I installed expect using Code: sudo apt-get install expect-tcl8.3 autoexpect was installed with it. I try to run autoexpect by typing: Code: autoexpect ./script_I_wanna_run.sh But ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

autoexpect not working

Hi all,

The other day I installed expect using
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install expect-tcl8.3
    autoexpect was installed with it. I try to run autoexpect by typing:
    Code:
    autoexpect ./script_I_wanna_run.sh
    But the output I keep getting when trying to run autoexpect is the following:
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/autoexpect: 1: .TH: not found
    /usr/sbin/autoexpect: 2: .SH: not found
    Which continues until I ^C to stop it.

I've tried copying both autoexpect.exp and autoexpect.sh to the /usr/sbin/ folder. I've done chmod +x to both. I'm trying to learn how to use autoexpect, but can't get past the first step of installation

Thanks for your help and advice,
    James

I believe your problem is going to be found in your script, if it is not too large, maybe you can post it and we can help you out.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!
    I get the same output no matter how I try to run it. For example, running just the autoexpect command by itself, or if I try autoexpect ftp ftp.<mydomain>.com, same .TH & .SH not found output previously quoted above. It leads me to think there's something important I'm supposed to do after installation, somekinda configuration change that needs to be made. I'm not entirely sure.

I can run the expect command and get a expect1.1> prompt. But as for autoexpect, forget it.

Just Joined!
    Guess I answered my own question, in a way...

installed the autoexpect-dev package, unzipped it into /usr/sbin and did chmod +x to autoexpect.

Not sure what is was about the expect-tcl8.3 installation that didn't work, but now autoexpect is running as expected.

James