Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi It's been a strugle but, I finely set up my work computer as a openSuse workstation. Networking has been, hands down, the hardest part of this trek.. Currently, the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Evolution Crashes when sending an email

Hi

It's been a strugle but, I finely set up my work computer as a openSuse workstation. Networking has been, hands down, the hardest part of this trek..

Currently, the biggest problem I've been having is, Evolution keeps crashing when I use it for email. My work uses Microsoft Exchange so, I downloaded the plug in and got everything set up. I recive mail just fine, I can read it and everything. However, when I reply to them, Evolution freezes up and turns gray. I tried running it from the terminal but, the terminal didn't report anything when it crashes; I have no idea what could be causing it.

I don't think its an app conflict because it generally happens when I reply to a message.

Help?

oz
    forum.guy
    Hi, bdaedalus359

Hmm, I really have no idea what the problem might be and don't run evolution, but just to throw something out there that you could try...

You could try changing your fonts and/or fonts sizes, as I have seen certain fonts crash apps before. Weird, I know, but true!

Any plugins or hacks added right before it started crashing?

If that doesn't work, you could make sure evolution is closed, rename your configuration folder/files and then restart it and let the folder rebuild itself, then configure it again. You can then recover any must-have files from the renamed directory.

Sorry I can't offer up a specific fix for you, but maybe someone else will answer with more ideas.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Hi, bdaedalus359

Hmm, I really have no idea what the problem might be and don't run evolution, but just to throw something out there that you could try...

You could try changing your fonts and/or fonts sizes, as I have seen certain fonts crash apps before. Weird, I know, but true!

Any plugins or hacks added right before it started crashing?

If that doesn't work, you could make sure evolution is closed, rename your configuration folder/files and then restart it and let the folder rebuild itself, then configure it again. You can then recover any must-have files from the renamed directory.

Sorry I can't offer up a specific fix for you, but maybe someone else will answer with more ideas.
    No plugins other than exchange. In fact, I disabled all of plugins and it still crashes. Its really frusterating because it just freezes up and produces NO bug report or anything, not even in the terminal.

I suppose I could try the font settings but, they are all default settings so, I doubt that would help anything.. I could also try renaming my config files.. Where do I go about finding those files? Any other ideas? This is very frusterating

I've found Evolution to be very unstable, mostly (I think) due to the Exchange plugin. In my experience, it works fine for weeks and then some update makes it unstable as hell for a long time.

Perhaps you could try out Thunderbird? It works quite happily with MS Exchange Server and (as far as I know) is pretty stable.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by smolloy View Post
    I've found Evolution to be very unstable, mostly (I think) due to the Exchange plugin. In my experience, it works fine for weeks and then some update makes it unstable as hell for a long time.

Perhaps you could try out Thunderbird? It works quite happily with MS Exchange Server and (as far as I know) is pretty stable.
    I really like thunderbird. I really like mozilla. Infact, I would prefer to use thunderbird but there is one big problem. My company's exchange server doesn't support IMAP. I have tried a bunch of different things to get it to work including talking to our server dude but, it just won't work.

Is there anyway I can force Thunderbird to work or - can I roll back an evolution update?

Just Joined!
    I found what looks like a crash log for gnome. It should apply to evolution. I checked it right after evolution crashed and this is what it says..

Distribution: openSUSE 11.0 (i586)
    Gnome Release: 2.22.1 2008-06-07 (SUSE)
    BugBuddy Version: 2.22.0

System: Linux 2.6.25.16-0.1-pae #1 SMP 2008-08-21 00:34:25 +0200 i686
    X Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
    X Vendor Release: 10400090
    Selinux: No
    Accessibility: Disabled
    GTK+ Theme: Glossy
    Icon Theme: gnome

Memory status: size: 0 vsize: 0 resident: 0 share: 0 rss: 0 rss_rlim: 0
    CPU usage: start_time: 0 rtime: 0 utime: 0 stime: 0 cutime:0 cstime: 0 timeout: 0 it_real_value: 0 frequency: 0

----------- .xsession-errors (14639 sec old) ---------------------
    job uri is ipp://brian-linux.n:631/printers/PhotoSmart-7350---CUPS+Gutenprint-v5.0.2
    Printer 'PhotoSmart-7350---CUPS+Gutenprint-v5.0.2' has 1 jobs for bri.war
    MSG: /com/redhat/PrinterSpooler com.redhat.PrinterSpooler QueueChanged
    job uri is ipp://brian-linux.n:631/printers/PhotoSmart-7350---CUPS+Gutenprint-v5.0.2
    Printer 'PhotoSmart-7350---CUPS+Gutenprint-v5.0.2' has 0 jobs for bri.war
    (gnome-panel:370: Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkAccelLabel to a GtkImageMenuItem, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkImageMenuItem can only contain one widget at a time; it alre
    --------------------------------------------------

It looks like it is having an issue with a widget of some sort.. Ideas..?