Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Need a pic edit program for jpeg, gif, etc.

OK, I'm still relatively new to Linux so I'm trying to keep an open mind and not compare apps & software to anything Win based but GIMP isn't fitting my needs. I'm looking for something simple like "paint" is in Win. I'm able to kind of do what I want in GIMP but the saved file is friggin huge. A jpeg file that used to be around 150kb in paint is like 7Mb in GIMP when saved. Is there a simple that can crop, cut & resize pics that will save the finished product at a reasonable size?

arch linux
    If needed, you can configure the way the GIMP saves files so as to cut down on the size. Otherwise, you can take a look here for some software options that might work for you:

Linux App Finder | Helping find the Linux apps you need

The Linux Alternative Project -

Thx Oz.... The 'help' file hadn't been loaded so I went into the SPM and did that and then read thru most of it. I was able to figure out how to do what I needed to but it still would be nice just to have a very simple program. That was one thing that was nice about Win is that it had something very basic like paint and more sophisticated like photoshop.

4. $spacer_open
    Arlington, VA, USA
    I'm not a graphics wiz either so I've always appreciated F-Spot which is a very simple and intuitive way to manage your photos. It allows you to do some minor touch-ups. That might be more of what you're looking for.