Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm completely new to linux and want to install skype onto my acer aspire a110 netbook which runs linpus. I don't know which version to choose from the downloads ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which version of skype?

Hi, I'm completely new to linux and want to install skype onto my acer aspire a110 netbook which runs linpus.
    I don't know which version to choose from the downloads page at skype.com and have still less clue how to install it!
    Can anyone please help me out? I've tried downloading it but can't find anything I recognise.....

I think Linpus is Fedora based. Choose the Fedora version of Skype. When you've downloaded it open a console window and enter
    Code:
    cd /path/to/download
    Replace /path/to/download with the actual path of course. That takes you to the folder that has your skype download. Then enter
    Code:
    sudo rpm -ivh skype*rpm
    You'll be asked for the root password then that should instal it. If you get any error messages and it doesn't instal make a note of them and come back to us.
    Last edited by peteh; 10-10-2008 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Missing instruction
    Pete

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by peteh View Post
    I think Linpus is Fedora based. Choose the Fedora version of Skype. When you've downloaded it open a console window and enter
    Code:
    cd /path/to/download
    Replace /path/to/download with the actual path of course. That takes you to the folder that has your skype download. Then enter
    Code:
    sudo rpm -ivh skype*rpm
    You'll be asked for the root password then that should instal it. If you get any error messages and it doesn't instal make a note of them and come back to us.
    Thanks peteh, worked a treat!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You're welcome.
    And by the way, welcome to Linux Forums. You'll get lots of help here whenever you need it.
    Pete