Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've posted this problem on 2 other on-line forums (1 is the Mozillazine forums) w/o any responses so far. I hope someone here can help me. My research has not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Thunderbird on Ubuntu sometimes won't start

I've posted this problem on 2 other on-line forums (1 is the Mozillazine forums) w/o any responses so far. I hope someone here can help me. My research has not turned up any posts about a similar problem.

I've been trying to get Thunderbird to work reliably in Ubuntu 8.04.1 w/o much success. The problem is that TB will not consistently startup. When I first boot into Ubuntu (I dual-boot with Window$), TB will usually startup, but not again after exiting. I'm using -profilemanager, which does startup every time, but clicking the "Start Thunderbird" button seems to have no effect, other than to have profilemanager exit (this is after the first startup). I have installed, uninstalled, reinstalled TB 3-4 times with the same results from Add/Remove Applications. Originally, I had the Folderpane Tools extension installed that I thought was causing the problem. I uninstalled it, but the problem remained. Also tried a new profile & safe mode without success.

Now here's the weird part (maybe yes, maybe no): if I have either Firefox or Sunbird running, TB seems to startup every time. Right now I have the Webmail & Yahoo extensions installed, but the problem predates their install.

Anybody have any ideas?

Just Joined!

Thunderbird on Ubuntu sometimes won't start

You are not alone in having this problem. I now run Ubuntu 8.04 as my main operating system (dual booting with XP) and have been sporadically experiencing the same issue.
    Often, when first started, Thunderbird loads OK from the profile manager but then, for no apparent reason, although the profile manager loads, it will not start Thunderbird once you have chosen the profile. Starting TB from the menu system (Apps/Internet/TB) will then load the chosen profile.
    I can't find any other reference to this problem either but I can't imagine that we are the only ones suffering.

Thanks for the reply Smeghead. I feel somewhat better knowing I'm not alone with this problem & I agree we can't be the only ones.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close