Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Are you running as root?

Open a terminal and type su and enter the root password. Then copy, paste & run the command.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Nope. I didnt know how. Thanx for the technical info

Ok, I think it worked. It ran the program but I dont know what changed. I am going to attempt the download of the binary XMMS now.

=====>Quick Question:
    Now, to my understanding "Root" is to Linux as "Administator" is to WIndows2000. Is there any way to always be logged on as "Root"? Many have told me that it is not a good Idea. But If I am ever going to learn Linux like I did Windows I am going to have to crash and re-install it a few times to get a feel of its limitations. When I first got W2k I Learned a ton by fooling with the permisions and security settings. Mind you I locked myself out of my own computer and had to reformat but I gained valuable knowlage because of it.

Linux Engineer
    Don;t download the binary. Use the graphical packaging tool and search it's lists for it. It'll then download it from a specific mandrake online repository.

You can run as root by opening a terminal and typing su or maybe su -

You can run root only commands as user by typing sudo command but I'm unfamiliar with this.

You can log in to Mandrake as root, but for security reasons mandrake hides this option on the login screen. Somewhere under mandrake control centre there's a switch to show root in the login users list.
    Lansbury's Lido

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ok, I know how to be root in the Terminal. Now how do you become Root in the GUI?

Update: I got XMMS installed! I just installed my first app on Linux!
    XMMS is the exact duplicate of Winamp2. Its a pitty that it can't Play AVI and WMA files. All well, beggers cant be choosers.

Linux Engineer
    Root in gui is an option in mandrake control centre. Can't remember where though.

avi and wma files play with a plugin.

http://www.xmms.org/plugins.php?details=3#
    Lansbury's Lido

Just Joined!
    ok, If you find the XMMS rpms( from rpmsfind), install it using comandline "rpm -Uvh urxmmsfile.rpm" in the directory where you save the rpm. Give the directory when asked where you want to install it, and bingo.. you got a media player, same look as WinAMP, and is cool.
    For video player, you can go to www.real.com for linux version of real player and also try Mplayer (from www.mplayer.hu), as I have listened about it much....
    There are also many other players available for media.
    If you get any error msg like didn't find some liberary files while installing, you can google\linux for that liberary files.
    You said you much liked WinAMP, give a try to JetAudio, i feel it very cool.
    ----------
    Moreover, I also have downloaded Mandrake 10, and I could not find XMMS installed even I checked the option while updating softwares install, i don't know why. It is loaded default in Mandrake 9.1
    ----------

Linux Engineer
    Mandrake uses urpmi instead of rpm. Mind you, maybe rpm command does work on mandrake
    Lansbury's Lido

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Omega
    Ok, I know how to be root in the Terminal. Now how do you become Root in the GUI?
    In Fedora Core 2 u can log in as root when u log in to gui. Just type in "root" as user name.

also on fedora core, i believe that there is an authentication program for the gui which lets you enter the root password (a graphical su of sorts) i'm sure mandrake has something similar

Yes I tryed it in mdk, but it didnt work at all. I still had to enter pasword some times. Easyer to just log in as root. I just log in as root when I need to do much stuff as root. Loging in and out takes no time any way.