Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am looking for one of two things: 1.) How to make WinAmp work for Mandrake 10, --or-- 2.) A very good *free* media player...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need Media Player for Mandrake (or get Winamp to work)

I am looking for one of two things:

1.) How to make WinAmp work for Mandrake 10,
    --or--
    2.) A very good *free* media player

Okay. Well there are several good,free media players out there. You mentioned WinAmp, so does that mean that you're interested in only playing music? Cos if so, there is XMMS, which probably came with Mandrake. If you want to play other media types as well (i.e. DVD, AVI/Mpeg videos, DivX, etc.) then there are several other options for you. One good one is Mplayer (http://www.mplayer.hu). It does all of the above, and is very powerful from the command line. Or you can also install the GUI and use it as you would Windows Media Player, Real Player, Quick Time, etc. Another common media player is xine, which comes with a lot of distros nowadays, so check to see if it came with Mandrake.
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    You mentioned WinAmp, so does that mean that you're interested in only playing music?
    Winamp is a Full media player now. It plays almost all formats of music, video, and streaming Audio/Video

Mandrake comes with Media players....oh....
    *hits head against wall hard*
    ...Yep right under MultiMedia on the main menu...
    *continues to bang head*
    I need to explore alot more before asking dumb questions

and I should research WinAmp more! lol. Sorry, last time I used WinAmp was never, but the last time I knew (about 5 years ago!) it could only play music. hehe

Am not sure about what it plays, but if u want something similar to winamp, try XMMS (it IS winamp essentially) looks the same, behaves the same! and i think u can play vids on the later versions of it
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    Thanx for the suggestion. I am looking for XMMS now.

I knew that using Linux would feel weird, but I never thought it would be anything like this. Simple tasks that I take for granted in Windows are major ordeals in Linux. Whenever I want to do something I have to research and experiment. It is driving me to the brink of insanity!

Update> XMMS seems to only work for Redhat and Fedora. I wonder why?
    >>>>>>> I have found some other programs that might work also, but the only download for them is something called "binaries". What does this mean?

Linux Engineer
    XMMS is shipped with your mandrake distribution.

Don't worry too much about binaries. With mandrake 10 you install rpm files using the mandrake control centre packaging tool. Visit the link below to set up internet sources for programs.

http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php

Then if you find a prog you like the look of see if it can be downloaded using the packaging-install software wizard.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    I dont remember seeing XMMS when looking through my Multimedia folder that I found. I downloaded my version of Mandrake, could that be why I dont have it?

And thanks for the info I binaries. I am not quite sure what a rpm file is, but I do know what the Mandrake Control Center is and I have seen the Packaging tool but I didnt know what it was for (I was thinking compressed archive files).

I will try out the link when I log back on to Mandrake.

Linux Engineer
    RPM stands for RedHat Package Manager, and is their format for bringing together programs and their dependencies. So when you install an RPM it knows what other packages are needed. The format is used by Mandrake, Suse and others.

The Mandrake Control Centre - Packaging is just a gui version of using "urpmi filename" on the command line.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    Chris, I tried that link and did the best I could to follow the instructions, but I just cant seem to get it right in the console. I am copy and pasting the entire selection it gives me but I only get an error "bash: urpmi.addmedia: command not found"

What could be I doing wrong?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast