Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Need a very powerful database app in Linux

I am a research and info pack rat and am looking for a powerful database program that will help me. I am getting my masters degree, following by a ph.d. As I study and find articles and book that are useful I want to scan them, use ocr software to convert them into a wp file and then store them in the computer in such a way that I can search though tens of thousands of pages of text on any word that might be in the article.

I also will be keeping picture files and other kinds of files as well.

Any Linux apps that will do this?

Bangalore, India
    I would suggest mysql for simple use.
    but in terms of robustness, postgres is the way to go !

Linux Guru
    Córdoba (Spain)
    Either mysql or postgres.

They run on many platforms, and they can easily interact with virtually any programming language around.

4. $spacer_open
    Linux User
    Tokyo, Japan
    I'm supposed to recommend MySQL because I am supposed to be working at Sun Microsystems, but I don't start work there for a few more months yet so I say go with PostgreSQL.

I'm not an expert, but as I understand it, PostgreSQL is highly configurable. Becoming and expert in PostgreSQL will essentially allow you to design databases of any size for virtually any application.

You could also so use Oracle, which is not opensource, but available for free download at their site.