Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have SuSe Linux 8.1 and I would like to run some Windows apps. So I run Wine, and during the setup, a warning message tells me to back ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wine on SuSE

Hello,
    I have SuSe Linux 8.1 and I would like to run some Windows apps.
    So I run Wine, and during the setup, a warning message tells me to back up my windows installation because It might be possibile that Wine damage Windows (!).
    Actually I have 2 Windows installation on the 1st disk and linux on the 2nd disk, but no win partition are mounted: so, how can Wine damage it?
    Moreover, Wine would use ts own api's to run win apps...
    Is that message "realiable"??
    Thanks.

Linux Guru
    It's reliable if you use your actual Windows partition as the system drive in Wine's config. (eg. if you put your Windows partition as being C:, and have the windows directory as C:\Windows... oh, I hate these pathnames...). In that case, Wine might do some changes that aren't fully Windows compatible. And, although Wine uses its own API, it can still use Windows' setting files, and I think you can even configure it to use the registry files on your Windows partition.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    It's reliable if you use your actual Windows partition as the system drive in Wine's config. (eg. if you put your Windows partition as being C:, and have the windows directory as C:\Windows... oh, I hate these pathnames...). In that case, Wine might do some changes that aren't fully Windows compatible. And, although Wine uses its own API, it can still use Windows' setting files, and I think you can even configure it to use the registry files on your Windows partition.
    Thank for helping.
    What do I have to do for a safe setup of Wine without any risk of compromising Win?

Linux Guru
    It's probably no great danger. Just don't use your Windows registry files, and you should (please note _should_) be fine. To be completely sure, though, you'll need to set up a fake Windows file system, instead of using your WIndows partition(s).
    I'm not all that into Wine (since I don't really use Windows much), so I don't think I can help you too much.