Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Since the large updates today, I find Firefox covers the entire screen and I am unable to minimize the screen or to view the Ubuntu headings without going file exit ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Firefox covers whole screen

Since the large updates today, I find Firefox covers the entire screen and I am unable to minimize the screen or to view the Ubuntu headings without going file exit to exit the Firefox. Is there a quick fix for this view?

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Don't know for sure that it will work, but you could try closing Firefox, then renaming your ~/.mozilla folder to something like .mozillaOLD, then restart Firefox so that the configuration files can rebuild themselves.

If it works, you can reclaim your bookmarks from the OLD folder.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I can't figure out how to do this - gthumbs doesn't seem to be installed. BTW I have another problem is that menu.1st is coming up blank so I am no longer able to edit it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    To change the name of the hidden .mozilla folder, open your file manager, enable the viewing of hidden files/folders, and navigate to the folder mentioned above. Right-click on the folder to change the name.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by archp2008 View Post
    T... menu.1st is coming up blank so I am no longer able to edit it.
    If you have a /boot partition then it may not be mounted. You can check your /etc/fstab file to see if /boot in on a unique partition and that noauto is set.

If so then you are not seeing the real /boot files, and you will have to manually mount the partition first.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,
    but most of them pick themselves up
    and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill

... then the Unix-Gods created "man" ...

oz
    forum.guy
    menu.1st is coming up blank so I am no longer able to edit it.
    Are you saying that GRUB is broken and you can't boot into your system at all?
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by archp2008 View Post
    Since the large updates today, I find Firefox covers the entire screen and I am unable to minimize the screen or to view the Ubuntu headings without going file exit to exit the Firefox. Is there a quick fix for this view?
    Have you tried using Alt and the middle mouse button (wheel) to resize the window? You can usually drag that way to resize a window.

Hitting F11 once or twice will change Firefox from full-screen mode to normal.

Menu.1st does not exist. Perhaps you're thinking about menu.lst (with a lower-case "L", not the number "1" one) ?
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the replies. OK on the menu.lst instead of menu.1st. Evidently I have been pasting into the terminal from web pages for a long time. I am able to use Alt-Right Click and then click minimize, but it's very difficult to make the Firefox not cover up the System Menu headings. If I keep changing workspace I can sometimes get it to show properly, but when I close Firefox and reopen it keeps reverting back to cover the system headings. It's not really full-screen mode - the Firefox menu is still there - it just covers the system headings (Applications, System, etc.) and the usual minimize, exit symbols do not appear in the top right corner, just a circle (perhaps the Ubuntu symbol) and under it the Google Search window. Regarding the menu.lst I have been trying to change the boot default from 1 to 3 to make Windows the default. I change the number but it keeps booting Ubuntu by default.

Firefox:
    If you hold down the "alt" key, you can click and drag any part of a window (not just the title-bar) to move it around the screen.

Menu.lst:
    Remember that it counts from zero, so the first entry on the list is "0", the second is "1", etc. Also, make sure to edit this file as root in order to have the proper permissions.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast