Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I'm looking for recommendations on backup software that I can use to make hard disk images. Preferably it should have a nice, easy-to-use GUI that allows selection of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Disk-Imaging Software With GUI

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for recommendations on backup software that I can use to make hard disk images. Preferably it should have a nice, easy-to-use GUI that allows selection of individual files to restore from disk images. The closest I have found is MondoRescue but that doesn't seem to have a user-friendly GUI that I can browse a backup with and select individual files or folders to restore. I am hoping for something like Symantec Ghost and its accompanying Ghost Explorer utility, except that Ghost doesn't run in any Linux environment that I've been able to find (even under Wine).

I have setup an Ubuntu live CD environment that PXE boots from my Windows 2003 RIS (Remote Installation Services) server. My goal in all this is to have an environment that I can boot into that can make hard drive images and restore all or individual files as needed for recovery and troubleshooting purposes without having to carry around a bootable live CD with me to every workstation I have to work on. I can currently boot into this environment via PXE, browse the contents of the local hard drive, and backup individual files or folders as needed, but I can't make drive images that are also "browsable" without having to perform two separate steps (manually copy all files over via the GUI or TAR backup and/or use backup software like G4L or MondoRescue to make the disk image).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jason331 View Post
    I'm looking for recommendations on backup software that I can use to make hard disk images. Preferably it should have a nice, easy-to-use GUI that allows selection of individual files to restore from disk images. The closest I have found is MondoRescue but that doesn't seem to have a user-friendly GUI that I can browse a backup with and select individual files or folders to restore.
    Welcome to the forums!

I'm not aware of any with a nice GUI, and mondorescue is the closest that I've found as well. You can look for some possible options here, but I don't think any of them have the GUI that you seek.
    oz