Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am new to this forum and relatively new to Linux, although it's streets ahead of Windows. I am still finding it hard to wean myself of off the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Hi & HTML/XML editor

Hi I am new to this forum and relatively new to Linux, although it's streets ahead of Windows. I am still finding it hard to wean myself of off the aforementioned. Can anyone recommend a good HTML/XML editor to run of My Sabayon O/S? I have another question, and it might be a little naive. But is it necessary to be Firewalled and have a antivirus for my O/S. Or can I surf with pretty much impunity. Thanks for your help.
    Cog

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by cogmick View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good HTML/XML editor to run of My Sabayon O/S?
    This depends on what "good" means for you. Ususally, you can trade speed versus features. I use GNOME gedit for writing HTML, which is fast, has syntax highlighting and many macros. But this is all about personal preference.

I have another question, and it might be a little naive. But is it necessary to be Firewalled and have a antivirus for my O/S. Or can I surf with pretty much impunity.
    Anti-virus software is not very common on GNU/Linux desktops because viruses are rather rare in our world. You can feel reasonable safe without such software, but keep up a healthy prudence. GNU/Linux systems do few things without your blessing, but they also do not much to prevent you from doing anything stupid.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

Hi, Cog! Welcome to LinuxForums!

Not into HTML/XML personally, so I'll let some other member field that one. But as far as AV, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Here is a really good link to answer your questions about AV and Firewalls: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...-security.html
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

For HTML
    ------------->Bluefish Bluefish Editor : Home
    ------------->Quanta Quanta Plus Home
    Quanta requires KDE I believe.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I have a hardware firewall and I run ClamAV. I only run the antivirus because I get files from Windows users and then I sometimes have to forward them to other Windows users. I feel I am being a good citizen somehow.

For a web editor, the best I have found is Komodo Edit
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    For HTML
    ------------->Bluefish Bluefish Editor : Home
    ------------->Quanta Quanta Plus Home
    Quanta requires KDE I believe.
    If you try those and desire something with a little less weight to it, gedit works dandy for html & php editing. There are a few shortcomings to the editor, but for the most part, it does what I need.
    Aloof linux user #whatever.

I tested off the charts for MENSA. Unfortunately, it was off the wrong end of the chart.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hi I am new to this forum and relatively new to Linux, although it's streets ahead of Windows. I am still finding it hard to wean myself of off the aforementioned. Can anyone recommend a good HTML/XML editor to run of My Sabayon O/S? I have another question, and it might be a little naive. But is it necessary to be Firewalled and have a antivirus for my O/S. Or can I surf with pretty much impunity. Thanks for your help.
    Cog
    Welcome to the forums!

It's hard to beat a simple text editor for HTML and XML, but of course it's not wysiwyg. Otherwise, I like BlueFish.

Regarding a firewall and antivirus apps, I run neither.

Hope you have fun with Linux.
    oz

Well, HTML/XML you can program easily with any text editor. I am still one of the crazy ones, who use Vi, but Gedit is also good.

For a firewall, I just use Firestarter. :P