Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am new to this forum and relatively new to Linux, although it's streets ahead of Windows. I am still finding it hard to wean myself of off the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Hi & HTML/XML editor

Hi I am new to this forum and relatively new to Linux, although it's streets ahead of Windows. I am still finding it hard to wean myself of off the aforementioned. Can anyone recommend a good HTML/XML editor to run of My Sabayon O/S? I have another question, and it might be a little naive. But is it necessary to be Firewalled and have a antivirus for my O/S. Or can I surf with pretty much impunity. Thanks for your help.
    Cog

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by cogmick View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good HTML/XML editor to run of My Sabayon O/S?
    This depends on what "good" means for you. Ususally, you can trade speed versus features. I use GNOME gedit for writing HTML, which is fast, has syntax highlighting and many macros. But this is all about personal preference.

I have another question, and it might be a little naive. But is it necessary to be Firewalled and have a antivirus for my O/S. Or can I surf with pretty much impunity.
    Anti-virus software is not very common on GNU/Linux desktops because viruses are rather rare in our world. You can feel reasonable safe without such software, but keep up a healthy prudence. GNU/Linux systems do few things without your blessing, but they also do not much to prevent you from doing anything stupid.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

Hi, Cog! Welcome to LinuxForums!

Not into HTML/XML personally, so I'll let some other member field that one. But as far as AV, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Here is a really good link to answer your questions about AV and Firewalls: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...-security.html
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    For HTML
    ------------->Bluefish Bluefish Editor : Home
    ------------->Quanta Quanta Plus Home
    Quanta requires KDE I believe.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I have a hardware firewall and I run ClamAV. I only run the antivirus because I get files from Windows users and then I sometimes have to forward them to other Windows users. I feel I am being a good citizen somehow.

For a web editor, the best I have found is Komodo Edit
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    For HTML
    ------------->Bluefish Bluefish Editor : Home
    ------------->Quanta Quanta Plus Home
    Quanta requires KDE I believe.
    If you try those and desire something with a little less weight to it, gedit works dandy for html & php editing. There are a few shortcomings to the editor, but for the most part, it does what I need.
    Aloof linux user #whatever.

I tested off the charts for MENSA. Unfortunately, it was off the wrong end of the chart.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hi I am new to this forum and relatively new to Linux, although it's streets ahead of Windows. I am still finding it hard to wean myself of off the aforementioned. Can anyone recommend a good HTML/XML editor to run of My Sabayon O/S? I have another question, and it might be a little naive. But is it necessary to be Firewalled and have a antivirus for my O/S. Or can I surf with pretty much impunity. Thanks for your help.
    Cog
    Welcome to the forums!

It's hard to beat a simple text editor for HTML and XML, but of course it's not wysiwyg. Otherwise, I like BlueFish.

Regarding a firewall and antivirus apps, I run neither.

Hope you have fun with Linux.
    oz

Well, HTML/XML you can program easily with any text editor. I am still one of the crazy ones, who use Vi, but Gedit is also good.

For a firewall, I just use Firestarter. :P