Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I've fallen in love with Tux Commander

When I built this CRUX 2.4 box, there was one thing I really wanted to do, mainly just to see if I could do it... that was to have a Linux OS with no KDE or Gnome. Sure I have some GTK and QT libraries installed for other applications, but not their respective Desktop Environments.

This put me in a position to try and find a file manager other than Nautilus or Konqueror both of which I like. I first tried Rox Filer and then XFE. Although both provided a semblance of Nautilus and Konqueror, I just really never felt comfortable with them.

Recently I tried Tux Commander which is a dual pane file manager in the spirit of Midnight Commander but is an X application. This light weight and intuitive utility was exactly what I've been looking for. It's fast, functional and surprisingly configurable. It almost seems to have been created as a compliment to IceWM which is my Window Manager of choice.

If you ever find yourself wanting to check out the different file managers, give Tux Commander a try. I think you'll be surprised by how functional and intuitive it is!

Screens

Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

I am beginning to like icewm more and more also. it sort of looks like win9x so users pick up on it quickly. It runs well on pentium I/II's with debian. Makes older computer more valuable. I will let the kids and their friends use an old p1 without fear of them tearing up the machine. They can still do everything including the web.. I will look to tux commander to add to the software collection.

Oddly enough, one of my favorite programs from the early Windows era was Midnight Commander. It made fiile manipultion a snap! I'm glad to hear that there are newer programs keeping the tradition of simpilicity alive!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I agree on that one. Links2 makes an interesting web browser for the gui. I thought it would only be text, but it does the graphics also.

-->
    Links with graphics is amazingly fast. If it would run Java I'd run it all the time. One time, I had it running under framebuffer which was slow but still pretty cool!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here