Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear all, I am using fedora core 10 and firefox 3.0.5 from the fedora repos. When i am viewing websites that include flash videos (flv files) like you tube or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

firefox becomes slow when playing flv files.

Dear all,

I am using fedora core 10 and firefox 3.0.5 from the fedora repos. When i am viewing websites that include flash videos (flv files) like you tube or similar my computher becomes extremely slow. The problem is bigger when a website contains more than one flash. The npviewer.bin consumes 88% of the cpu. I downloaded the flash player from adobe but this didnt make any difference. Is that a known problem or its just something wrong with my configuration?

Many thanks in advance,
    regards

Just Joined!
    I think your RAM is less and your processor is old.Please give your hardware information.

Just Joined!
    Many thanks for the reply,

My configuration is P4 HT and 1GB of ram. I have windows installed in the same system and when i run firefox from there it works great.

Many thanks

Just Joined!

Smile

If your hardware is that good then have you added a swap space when you installed linux?If you have alloted good swap space then its OK.This issue is a known problem.I have experienced this in my Ubuntu machine.I force quit Firefox when this happen.Another good technique is to open the system monitor and kill the .bin process.This should be a good method if you are downloading something.I hope this solves your problem.

Linux Guru
    Do you have the correct video driver installed? Using the wrong driver can hurt performance with Flash and other video playback.

Just Joined!
    i haven't don't anything for my graphic gard. I thought it is supported automatically. Where can i download and istall them for the fedora distro?

Many thanks

Just Joined!

I have similar problem with mplayer + firefox flv

Similar issue for me on Ubuntu Hardy. When I play .flv files in mplayer at the same time as watching flv in firefox the whole system slows down. After that, flvs will ONLY play slowly in mplayer until X is restarted!