Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, this is my first post here, so let me know if I'm in the wrong spot, or not providing enough information! I've recently found myself with a spare low-ish ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Information Display Screen

Hi, this is my first post here, so let me know if I'm in the wrong spot, or not providing enough information!

I've recently found myself with a spare low-ish spec'd pc, and i was looking to possibly turn it into an information display unit of some sort to go in my lounge room. It's a 1ghz p3, with 512mb of ram, and a 40gb drive, and a 15" LCD. I'm anticipating it will be connected to my network with wireless, and won't generally have a keyboard or mouse attached.

I've currently got ubuntu 8.10 installed, but i'm open to other OS options if that makes it significantly easier.

Information to display would be things like cpu/net use graphs for my server, ping results of other hosts on my network, and external, date/time, weather forecast, new content in my downloads directory, scrolling rss feeds, etc.
    It would be great if it could show this information on a single slide or two of a rotating slideshow of images. (but optional!)

I figured that there might be an application around to collect all that sort of information and display it, but i couldn't find anything good that was designed to run full screen.

I figure I could do it by creating a script to open multiple terminals and applications, however I thought maybe I could ask here first.

Any ideas on an application to use, or a good way to tie together and organize all the terminals and windows I'll need to open?

Thanks!

Conky will certainly do some of that.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Conky, as suggested above by hazel, is a great little utility for supplying system info on the desktop.

Another good one if you happen to be running KDE is Super Karamba. I think it now comes with the latest versions of KDE by default.

If you run Gnome, you might want to check out Gnome-Applets for some possible options.

Look for a number of other options/utilities here.

Hope you are able to find what you are looking for.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I'm trying to set something very similar up except that I have a 22" widescreen for the purpose. I conky is all well in good, but I want more and can't find it.

list for display:

-Radar map (about 1/4 of the screen)
    -Temp/conditions out right now (large)
    -24 hour graph of temp
    -5 day graph of temp high/low with conditions icons
    -Moon Phase
    -Pic Slide show that can pull form websites and local folders for it's random photo (probably another 1/4 of the screen)
    -Stocks list abot 30
    -RSS viewer feed viewer
    -Standard system info (yes I get conky can do this)

Quote Originally Posted by mox386 View Post
    I'm trying to set something very similar up except that I have a 22" widescreen for the purpose. I conky is all well in good, but I want more and can't find it.

list for display:

-Radar map (about 1/4 of the screen)
    -Temp/conditions out right now (large)
    -24 hour graph of temp
    -5 day graph of temp high/low with conditions icons
    -Moon Phase
    -Pic Slide show that can pull form websites and local folders for it's random photo (probably another 1/4 of the screen)
    -Stocks list abot 30
    -RSS viewer feed viewer
    -Standard system info (yes I get conky can do this)
    Hello and Welcome.
    Please start your own thread on this topic, this thread is older and it would really help you if you did create a new thread.
    Thanks and enjoy the forums.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.