Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, I've been following this guide to make my desktop look a little less "defaulty". Take a look. I've done each step up until where I'm supposed to open ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation "Avant Window Navigator" Won't Start

Hey guys,

I've been following this guide to make my desktop look a little less "defaulty". Take a look.

I've done each step up until where I'm supposed to open up Avant Window Navigator. IT REFUSES TO OPEN! I've tried rebooting...nothing. I've tried reinstalling...nothing. Configuring it to run upon login...nothing. Agh! I am, however, able to run "Awn Manager" under System > Preferences and change the preferences for my non-existent window dock. I've searched the Internet quite a bit but can't seem to find a solution.

Can anyone of y'all help?

Try starting awn from a terminal, ie, open a terminal and type "avant-window-navigator" - if it's crashing or unable to load you should be able to see an error message which you can post to help troubleshoot.

Well, terminal solved my problem. I ran "avant-window-navigator" and received this message:

Error: Screen isn't composited. Please run compiz (-fusion) or another compositing manager.

So...I installed compiz and now AWN actually works! Man, how did I not think of that? Such a simple solution...

<virtual_high_five>Anyway, thanks reed9!</virtual_high_five>