Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I multiboot and really appreciate K3B 's data checking both before and after burning, I've not got a coaster yet from K3B, one point is puzzling me though. Whilst ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Speeding up K3B ? it burns slower than the writers top limit

Hi
    I multiboot and really appreciate K3B 's data checking both before and after burning, I've not got a coaster yet from K3B, one point is puzzling me though.
    Whilst I can get a 40 CD writer to perform at that speed using Nero, K3B stubbornly refuses to use the full speed limit. This despite using over speed 48x Media.
    I can get Nero to use full speed on W*n XP and ME but K3B works at almost half burning speed.
    I am using SUSE 9.1 Pro on the same machine.
    Does anyone know of any tweaks for K3B to get the write speed up to par?

Mad Malc

I bet it's because Nero is giving you skewed results. I believe, and I might be wrong, that the speed rating for a burner is how fast it goes when it's burning the outside edge of the cd, so when it's burning near the middle of the cd it's technically going slower....

It does take the burner time to spin up (and out) to get to it's full speed. I would tend to agree with Darl that Nero is not telling the truth. If you burn a full ISO, you can see the write speed go up. Mine usually maxes out (and exceeds the speed I set cdrecord to use) somewhere around 50% through the burn.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close