Find the answer to your Linux question:
This has been happening a lot lately. While online checking some websites Opera will sometimes become unresponsive. When this happens, CPU usage goes though he roof. Well, there is an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Opera browser at 90%+ Useage / Won't "Die"

This has been happening a lot lately. While online checking some websites Opera will sometimes become unresponsive. When this happens, CPU usage goes though he roof. Well, there is an easy way to stop a runaway process.

HTML Code:
    kill (offending pid)
    But there seems to be a problem with that. When I use that command it accepts it with no output like you would expect. But when I run top opera is still at 90%+ usage and still very much 'alive'.

so I got a zombie process (for lack of better terms) and not a shotgun in sight. Any ideas?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmightyOS View Post
    This has been happening a lot lately. While online checking some websites Opera will sometimes become unresponsive. When this happens, CPU usage goes though he roof. Well, there is an easy way to stop a runaway process.

HTML Code:
    kill (offending pid)
    But there seems to be a problem with that. When I use that command it accepts it with no output like you would expect. But when I run top opera is still at 90%+ usage and still very much 'alive'.

so I got a zombie process (for lack of better terms) and not a shotgun in sight. Any ideas?
    Are you getting a single instance of opera or is it spawning "child processes" of itself?

Well the kill command asks a program to end. If that hasn't worked, use the 9 switch. Also you can use killall if you know the processname rather than searching for the PID first
    Code:
    kill -9 12345
    killall -9 opera

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Code:
    killall -9 opera
    that worked like a charm.
    Now that I got rid of the zombie process, any ideas why it does this in the first place?