Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just started with Ubunto on a new machine, and I'm not an experienced Linux soul, and definitely not a tekkie. My purpose in doing this was to set ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Freevo doesn't do anything

I have just started with Ubunto on a new machine, and I'm not an experienced Linux soul, and definitely not a tekkie. My purpose in doing this was to set up a PVR, so when I had put a Pinnacle SAT TV card and a Houpage WIN TV card into teh box I loaded Freevo. I used a simple procedure through the Synaptic Package Manager, and all seemed to go well. Following installation Freevo exists in the applications menu, but when I click on it absolutely nothing happens. Any clues please.

Linux Guru
    Did you use this QuickStartGuide to set up?

QuickStartGuide - Freevo 1.x Wiki

Just Joined!

Still gives problems

I did not originally use the link sent, but I have looked at it now. I have two immediate problems.

First, what is an X Server. I have an Ubuntu Box running Intrepid Ibex. The screen resolution is set to 1280 x 1024, but when I installed Freevo it asked for a display resolution. I selected 800 x 600.

Second, the reading I have been doing on Ubuntu tells me I have to use the Synaptic Package Manager, rather than download and install as I would in Windows, The quick start supplied seems to be telling me the opposite. When I selected Freevo from the Synaptic Package manager it selected a number of dependencies, which I also included.

There is also a thrid thing, though a small one. I presume there is a command line to unpack. I am used to right click and select, which is the windows way.

Please don't get me wrong, I want rid of windows, but I'm finding transition difficult.