Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using OpenOffice 2.3.0-6.10.el5 under Redhat EL5. I am trying to construct an address database to use for an OpenOffice document mailmerge. In various places on the web I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

OpenOffice: Why no File>New>Database?

I am using OpenOffice 2.3.0-6.10.el5 under Redhat EL5. I am trying to construct an address database to use for an OpenOffice document mailmerge.
    In various places on the web I have been instructed to select File>New>Database to create one. This option does not exist in my OpenOffice. I recently yum updated OO to be sure I had the latest version but there was still no option. What am I missing?

Linux Newbie
    Look for /proc/openoffice.org2.3/programs/sbase
    or perhaps a ....
    Code:
    find / | grep -i sbase
    If you find it, call it from the command line with all other instantiations of OO closed down. If you don't find it, I'd try to uninstall open office, download the gz2 ball and recompile it with the database libs in the package.

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the reply. I have no /proc/openoffice.org2.3/programs/sbase, infact there is no /proc/openoffice.org2.3. I found no sbase on the drive except a few in the /usr/alsa-lib/mixer directory. I assume that any of these are not it.
    I am not too interested in uninstalling openoffice and recompiling it with the tar ball. I have dialup and any project like this quickly becomes a nightmare having to spend days downloading dependencies. So, I will sbase investigate further.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Really, OpenOffice 3 is the latest version, but I think your installation doesn't include OpenOffice base. Anyway, doesn't RHEL5 use up2date and not yum.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by beojan View Post
    Really, OpenOffice 3 is the latest version, but I think your installation doesn't include OpenOffice base. Anyway, doesn't RHEL5 use up2date and not yum.
    No, RedHat switched to yum (with some RHN plugins) for RHEL5 and beyond. The most recent version of OpenOffice available through RHEL channels is 2.3.0. RedHat packages are generally well behind the upstream for stability reasons.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    See Your Office Suite to get OpenOffice 3.x for RHEL 5.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!