Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Software to convert negative to positive

I am looking for Linux software with a GUI frontend that can convert a negative (tiff, png, jpg) into a viewable positive photograph that can then be edited or printed.

Is there such a thing?

Have you looked at The GIMP?
    Layer -> Colors -> Invert should do the trick.

cheers, kai

Quote Originally Posted by kai12 View Post
    Have you looked at The GIMP?
    Layer -> Colors -> Invert should do the trick.

cheers, kai
    I use Gimp all of the time. Layers>Colors>Invert just changes the orange negative to cyan. It does not work.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Sorry to hear that.

I still think it *should* work, I double-checked by converting a scanned negative from this tutorial (for photoshop), and The Gimp inverted it to pretty much the same image as in said tutorial.

I tried imagemagick (convert with the -negate option), too, which produced about the same result.

My guess is that this is not a software issue but specific to your negatives - I would seek help in forum on digital photography, maybe here. Maybe you need to do some filtering to get the right colors.

cheers, kai

Quote Originally Posted by kai12 View Post
    Sorry to hear that.

I still think it *should* work, I double-checked by converting a scanned negative from tutorial (for photoshop), and The Gimp inverted it to pretty much the same image as in said tutorial.

I tried imagemagick (convert with the -negate option), too, which produced about the same result.

My guess is that this is not a software issue but specific to your negatives - I would seek help in forum on digital photography, maybe Maybe you need to do some filtering to get the right colors.

cheers, kai
    For black and white negatives on gimp, Colors->Levels then edit settings as curve.
    Change the gradient from positive (going up on as the x axis increases `/') to negative (`\'). Neg now POS.

measekite, maybe you have to define better what "negative" means.
    in my understanding (which stems from using non-digital cameras), both in b/w and color photography, it means that all colors are exactly inverted.
    how is gimp's "Invert" function different?
    btw, on my gimp it's Colors => Invert.

apart from that, +1 for imagemagick which is the better tool for automated image processing, imho.