Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I do use the x86_64 Arch and there's no lack of programs. The last real piece of the puzzle came when adobe released a 64 bit flash player. You can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I do use the x86_64 Arch and there's no lack of programs. The last real piece of the puzzle came when adobe released a 64 bit flash player. You can also still install 32 bit libraries to get the few holdouts, like Skype, working. Though I would rather use open source software for VoIP like Ekiga.

I used to use Sidux and I do really like it. (Though it's ugly as hell out of the box.) But GNOME support is lacking and they're still at KDE 3.5 as well. Which is no fault of theirs - those packages aren't in Debian Sid yet. You could install the XFCE version and then install GNOME via APT, though I don't think they even have GNOME 2.24 in Sid yet, and 2.26 has just come out! I'm more of an XFCE guy myself, so it wasn't a deal breaker with Sidux for me. But I still prefer Arch.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    I do use the x86_64 Arch and there's no lack of programs. The last real piece of the puzzle came when adobe released a 64 bit flash player. You can also still install 32 bit libraries to get the few holdouts, like Skype, working. Though I would rather use open source software for VoIP like Ekiga.

I used to use Sidux and I do really like it. (Though it's ugly as hell out of the box.) But GNOME support is lacking and they're still at KDE 3.5 as well. Which is no fault of theirs - those packages aren't in Debian Sid yet. You could install the XFCE version and then install GNOME via APT, though I don't think they even have GNOME 2.24 in Sid yet, and 2.26 has just come out! I'm more of an XFCE guy myself, so it wasn't a deal breaker with Sidux for me. But I still prefer Arch.
    ill try Sidux XFCE because i am use to the sudo and stuff, i dont want to learn it again, ill try it in VM.

Where can i get a CD image of Sidux??

Where can i get a CD image of Sidux??
    I don't mind helping out, but did you consider just googling "sidux"? Mirrors :: sidux.com :: debian based live cd development

And hey, looks like KDE 4.2 could be in Debian Sid within a week. Debian and KDE4: Good Things Come to Those Who Wait - Linux Magazine Online

Just Joined!

Question

I don't mind helping out, but did you consider just googling "sidux"? Mirrors :: sidux.com :: debian based live cd development

And hey, looks like KDE 4.2 could be in Debian Sid within a week. Debian and KDE4: Good Things Come to Those Who Wait - Linux Magazine Online
    Yes but i couldn't find there CD image on there site... I hate KDE so I dont really care....

BTW which version on Sudex does that iso contain? KDE or XFCE

They have a KDE CD and a XFCE CD. Helpful hint, distrowatch always links directly to an ISO download when they do a release annoucement. DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

Just Joined!
    They have a KDE CD and a XFCE CD. Helpful hint, distrowatch always links directly to an ISO download when they do a release annoucement. DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.
    Download links in that link are broken ill go try to find it on there site... thx for the help so far...

Just Joined!
    Ok, i found and started DLing 64bit XFCE and i have a question.

If i download Gnome off repo cant i easely upgrade since its running an older gnome via gnome tar file

Quote Originally Posted by IllBashU View Post
    Ok, i found and started DLing 64bit XFCE and i have a question.

If i download Gnome off repo cant i easely upgrade since its running an older gnome via gnome tar file
    No. I'm not sure even sure where to begin explaining why not. Read this to start: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware It's for Ubuntu but still mostly applicable.

The tar files you're talking about are probably the source code. Installing your desktop environment from source would destabilize your system, if you managed to succeed at all. The sidux website says keeps it brief
    Debian variants, Source and RPMs

Source installs are not supported. If you really need to compile your application, do it as user, and put it under your home directory without installing it to the system. Using checkinstall and converting RPMs with alien (and others like it) to a deb are not supported.

Debian variants often use different file locations for various applications which could cause system instability and some packages won't install due to unresolvable dependencies from different package naming schemes or odd version numbers. For instance a different version of glibc could cause the application to not even run.
    Sidux is very specific about what it supports for upgrades and installs. For example, even upgrading using synaptic or aptitude is not supported. This is to maintain the integrity of the system. Remember, it follows the unstable branch of Debian, which is, well, unstable. Deviating from their recommendations, especially since you're inexperienced in linux, will lead to breakages.

Just Joined!
    If they are using unstable how do they still not have support for Gnome this makes no sence. Idk about changing OSs, especially when you cant even install the DE you want. I guess ill just get the Ubuntu 9.04 Beta.

Look, the project is run by volunteers and their focus isn't GNOME. If you want GNOME, learn how to package and maintain it and give back to the community.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2