Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am using ubuntu 8.10 (with ubuntu's crap repos) can someone help me with using Cmake?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Upgrading Ktorrent

I am using ubuntu 8.10 (with ubuntu's crap repos) can someone help me with using Cmake?

Why are Ubuntu's repos crap? What help do you need specifically? KDE Wiki : KDE CMake Intro

Just Joined!
    maby you need this
    apt-get install build-essential
    Cheers
    Fantaman

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    Why are Ubuntu's repos crap? What help do you need specifically? KDE Wiki : KDE CMake Intro
    They are crap because they are basically frozen, things almost never get updated.

Well, if you think Ubuntu's repos are too static, don't ever use Debian Stable! Seriously, though, that's the point of a release - you don't do major version updates until the next release and in exchange you get a fair promise of stability as the distro has time to test and patch packages. If you want to live on the bleeding edge, run a rolling release distro like Arch, or to be slightly less bleeding edge, Sidux.

Here's a blog on the troubles you can have with rolling release: ::: Plante Branger :::

That said, I use Arch.

Just Joined!
    How often does it crash/break down? and how come arch has no i386?

Arch is targeted towards modern systems and so optimizes their packages to the i686 architecture. Though i686 was introduced in 1995 so it's not exactly bleeding edge. All that really precludes are processors older than a Pentium II.

I have had one breakage with Arch, when I first started using it and upgraded without ever paying attention to what I was doing. It was relatively minor and I don't recall what exactly the problem was now. You should always check the forums for alerts before upgrading and pay attention to what packages are being upgraded.

There are occasionally other minor issues I've run into - for example the Lancelot menu is broken using KDE 4.2.1 on top of qt 4.5. I could downgrade to qt 4.4, but it's not that big a deal to me.

If you're thinking of using Arch, read this first:
    FAQ - ArchWiki
    The Arch Way - ArchWiki

Just Joined!
    I have a AMD Phenome 9850 Quad CPU i know it supports 64 bit but does it support i686?

Quote Originally Posted by IllBashU View Post
    I have a AMD Phenome 9850 Quad CPU i know it supports 64 bit but does it support i686?
    Yup, it would. But, um, why not install the 64 bit version?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    Yup, it would. But, um, why not install the 64 bit version?
    Because i have read some pretty bad horror stores involving 64bit. Are you useing 64bit? how does it work? are there less apps?

I am thinking about going with Debian Sid because i know the package but idk about sidux they have no gnome

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast