Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need to move my .evolution file, which is 8.5 gig of letters and addresses to a new machine. I admit, it sounds simple, but for some reason Evolution isn't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Moving Evolution to new machine

I need to move my .evolution file, which is 8.5 gig of letters and addresses to a new machine. I admit, it sounds simple, but for some reason Evolution isn't cooperating. I have set up the second machine with the same user name and password as the machine my file is coming from, because Evolution seems extremely aware of who the user is suppose to be.

I have tried moving the Evolution created backup tar file over and restoring from it. When I launch Evolution I get the wizard, but it is more interested in importing from OTHER competing email clients, so I end up manually entering my pop/smtp addressing, then then after Evolution is running, trying to do a restore. But this leaves me with a buggy setup, as it will not see all the different address books, etc.

And I have tried a direct ssh2 transfer by simply copying from one machine to the other. In fact, I am retrying that right now. You would think Evolution would launch, see its data file, and be happy. But no, it gives me the wizard instead. The thing knows I have moved it and seems hell bent on trying to ignore the information in its data files....basically having the same problem as I described above. I even tried wiping out my entire user directory and transfering all the contents of my old user directory over, thinking it was keeping notes in other hidden files. I got the wizard when I launched. And that is the point I am now setting at, as I write this.

Does anyone know how to properly make the leap between machines with Evolution?

(The thing is psychic! And it may be plotting to kill me...)

Thanks!

I

so what happens if you plug in a thumb drive and do

sudo cp ~/.evolution DIRECTORY/Of/Thumb

? I think that it is .evolution..I use thunderbird but if that's the file. Does terminal spit something out?
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    jmadero: As it turns out, it is a bit more complicated than that. I have copied my solution below and as you read it, you will realize why a simple transfer doesn't work for several reasons!

Solution:

Migrating Evolution – Moving Evolution to Another Computer

The destination on the NEW computer MUST have the same USER and Password as the old computer user evolution is being migrated from. This is essential.

On your OLD Computer:

Close evolution if you have it running.

Launch a Terminal and type in these commands:

evolution –force-shutdown

cd (to user home directory)

tar -cvzf evolution.tar.gz .evolution .gconf/apps/evolution

The above will ensure Evolution is shut down and that the two directories are archived
    together in one tar file.

When the above operation completes, MOVE the created evolution.tar file to the same home directory of the new computer.

Launch a Terminal on the New Computer in the same User home directory, and type in these commands:

evolution –force-shutdown

cd (to user home directory)

tar -xvzf evolution.tar.gz

Make sure the permissions on these files are correct (Read Write enabled) and transcend the entire file. (Use Properties/Permissions to do this if you want to use a GUI file browser.)

Launch Evolution......it may take a few moments for it to initially load up its files the first time through. For instance, my New Evolution decided to upgrade its data into SQLite, which was now being used in this newer version of Evolution. Then it launched Evolution and there was another pause while it loaded the first time. BUT EVERYTHING WAS THERE AND EVERYTHING WORKS GREAT! --And that's what it is all about.

I hope this helps anyone who finds it!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    are you against switching to thunderbird? that seems so complicated and thunderbird looks better anyways and is MUCH easier to get over to a new system. If you aren't against it I'd suggest installing thunderbird, importing your evolution files, and then copying your .mozilla-thunderbird profile over to the new machine....

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    I tried Thunderbirdy several years ago, and I completely agree it is much cleaner and probably less susceptible to problems. And even used it in several Linux systems I set up for other people when I moved them over to Linux from M$.

But it was missing some things that I needed.....which I can't seem to remember what all those things were at the moment..... aside from the need to poll multiple email accounts per user and auto sorting read/sent letters into their respective archive bins for historical and legal review if need be....

As a matter of curiosity, do you happen to know if Thunderbirdy offers some kind of automatic migration of addresses and letters from Evolution into itself? And as I mentioned, right now the information I am keeping in Evolution is 8.5 gig.....how does Thunderbird do with large files of data?

from my knowledge of importing which is limited I do think that it's really straight forward to import from evolution into thunderbird, if you do try it shouldn't delete your evolution account so you could attempt it, if it works great, if not, you still will have the evolution one and can try the migration the hard way with evolution.

As for sorting, with thunderbird you can set up easy filters that should take care of most of what you are looking for.

One other thing that people often find annoying about thunderbird is that it doesn't have a built in calendar, the good news, the next version of thunderbird will, the decent news for now, there is an easy plugin for both a local calendar and google calendar support called lightning and google-provider add on