Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Unfortunately I've managed to break a fair bit of functionality on my Linux system which is running Ubuntu 8.4. Recently I purchased an IPod and was hoping to upgrade ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Upgrading packges from source

Hi,

Unfortunately I've managed to break a fair bit of functionality on my Linux system which is running Ubuntu 8.4.

Recently I purchased an IPod and was hoping to upgrade libgpod since the version installed (3.0.0) doesn't appear to transfer the album cover to the ipod when transfering songs to it (using Rythmbox). I noticed that the newest version of libgpod is 4.0.0 so I downloaded and installed this from source. I then downloaded and installed the newest version of rythmbox from source. This required me to update several other packages including Totem and gtk+. I also installed these from source since the versions required were not held in the ubuntu 8.04 repositories.

I assumed that since I was installing these applications into /usr/local it wouldn't cause any problems for the current versions already installed in /usr. I realize now that this assumption was wrong since now I have the following problems:

I get an error message before displaying the log in screen saying "There was an error loading the theme Human - Couldn't recognize file format for file /usr/share/gdm/themes/Human/bottom_bar.svg"

Neither Totem or Rythmbox will play any music or movies.

I only have 1 theme to choose from when I select System -> Preferences -> Appearences

So Now I have the following questions?

1) Will it fix my system if I just delete the packages I installed in /usr/local by deleting the files, or will this completely mess my system up. Is there any simple ways to fix my system without doing a re-install of the OS?

2) If you want to upgrade a package from source which is already present on the system what is the correct way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help any 1 can give me on this

Neil

I'm sorry I can't answer all your questions, especially regarding how to fix the machine but a few comments from my side:

1. Ipods and Linux don't work well a lot of the time, I've got one working but it was really a pain, if it's a new Ipod and still under the return policy I'd suggest returning it and getting a mp3 player that is friendlier to Ubuntu (Creative Zen comes to mind but there are other excellent ones, I think that Samsung has a touch screen that is nice and relatively inexpensive)

2. Amarok has better mp3 support than Rythmbox (at least from my experience)

3. To upgrade a package you should do it just like you did, I'm not sure why this caused an issue. Do you know if it was rythmbox or the ipod library file?

4. You MIGHT want to try going into synaptic and completely removing totem, rythmbox and the ipod library, then reinstall with apt-get and see if that fixes anything
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply jmadero,

I don't know for sure what packages have caused the problems with my system as I installed them one after another each day. I suspect the lack of themes and possibly the problems with the log in screen may of been caused by upgrading gtk+, which needed to be upgraded for rhythmbox.

Any way Ubuntu 9.4 will be out soon so I'll probably just do a clean install once this is out. Cheers for your help

Neil

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    sounds like a plan. I have installed several of the alphas and the beta and I will be surprised if 9.04 is stable on release day, I've had some serious issues with it so far
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"