Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, anyone have idea how to change setting of the running putty session on Linux? In windows environment if we are running a putty session, we can change the setting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

putty Linux - change setting during running session

Hi, anyone have idea how to change setting of the running putty session on Linux?
    In windows environment if we are running a putty session, we can change the setting during the session by right click on the title bar then select change setting (kindly please see attached screenshot). putty menu on Linux putty doesn't available during session running. of course in Linux the title bar menu depend on the which window/desktop manager we use. but so far I can't find any window manager that can show the application menu on the title bar/icon menu. (now I am using XFCE).

This feature is really useful. for example:
    1. if at the beginning of the session I forgot to logging my session, I can change it via this menu immediately.
    2. I can set up an ssh tunnel based on the running session then reuse this tunnel setting for another multiple session. very handy and flexible.

anyone may wonder why I use putty on Linux, and why not just running plain ssh from terminal. this is the reason why use putty:
    1. For easy session management
    2. Logging feature
    3. Some setting like ssh tunnel on the fly.

I miss this future on putty Linux. any suggestion how to tweak this on putty Linux will be highly appreciate. or someone can point me to another application that as powerful as putty and has this feature.

Thx
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just Joined!
    Control-Right click in the session window to bring up that menu.

Quote Originally Posted by gguava01 View Post
    Hi, anyone have idea how to change setting of the running putty session on Linux?
    In windows environment if we are running a putty session, we can change the setting during the session by right click on the title bar then select change setting (kindly please see attached screenshot). putty menu on Linux putty doesn't available during session running. of course in Linux the title bar menu depend on the which window/desktop manager we use. but so far I can't find any window manager that can show the application menu on the title bar/icon menu. (now I am using XFCE).

This feature is really useful. for example:
    1. if at the beginning of the session I forgot to logging my session, I can change it via this menu immediately.
    2. I can set up an ssh tunnel based on the running session then reuse this tunnel setting for another multiple session. very handy and flexible.

anyone may wonder why I use putty on Linux, and why not just running plain ssh from terminal. this is the reason why use putty:
    1. For easy session management
    2. Logging feature
    3. Some setting like ssh tunnel on the fly.

I miss this future on putty Linux. any suggestion how to tweak this on putty Linux will be highly appreciate. or someone can point me to another application that as powerful as putty and has this feature.

Thx

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by arcadeshopper View Post
    Control-Right click in the session window to bring up that menu.
    Really, no one has an answer? I am wondering the same thing....

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by lodotek View Post
    Really, no one has an answer? I am wondering the same thing....
    Hello and welcome to the forums, lodotek!

Please feel free to start a new thread of your own with any problems you are having. This one is nearing 2 years old so I'm going to lock it.

Thank you.
    oz