Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, Starting a few days ago, trying to access google.com *sometimes* crashes firefox. Other times, I can get to the Google home page, but clicking on the "news" link crashes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Google crashes FireFox

Hi,
    Starting a few days ago, trying to access google.com *sometimes* crashes firefox. Other times, I can get to the Google home page, but clicking on the "news" link crashes the browser. I am using a 2 year old installation of Mepis, 6.0.1 which is built on Ubuntu. I tried upgrading to the newest FireFox that appears in Synaptic. That is version 1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.15~prepatch080614|-Oubuntu1.
    The upgrade didn't help.

Only the Google site causes problems and only with fireFox. Opera and Konqueror work fine with Google. FireFox works with other sites.

Have other people seen this?

And, when I say "crash", I mean the the application just silently disappears.

Thanks for your time,
    Don

Execute firefox command in Terminal and open google site. Post error message that appear in Terminal on Firefox crash.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What add-ons and plugins have you installed recently? This is TOTALLY anomalous behavior, and is very likely due to something you have done to the system (firefox).

Is there any other new software you have installed recently?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...il/037920.html

I had firefox crashing sometimes when using flash player on certain sites, whether video or music. I used the above bug report to go ahead and try their fix of uninstalling
    libflashplayersupport
    Don't know if this applies to your particular problem, and after doing this uninstall flash still works. But I haven't tested this long enough yet to see if this fixes the crashing yet. Only time will tell.

Just Joined!
    Hi rubberman,
    I agree it does sound like a change here, but I keep close track of changes and I have changed nothing in months.

Hi Devils Casper:
    Yes, I should have thought of looking for messages in the terminal. I tried it several times since the crash is intermittant. I get a huge list of errors every time, whether it crashes or not. Here is the error list from the one time that it crashed. It ends with a segmentation fault:
    Code:
    dpjungk@2[~]$ firefox

(Gecko:6471): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_from_drawable: assertion `gdk_window_is_viewable (src)' failed

(Gecko:6471): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(Gecko:6471): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_bits_per_sample: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(Gecko:6471): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(Gecko:6471): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(Gecko:6471): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(Gecko:6471): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(Gecko:6471): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_from_drawable: assertion `gdk_window_is_viewable (src)' failed

(Gecko:6471): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(Gecko:6471): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_bits_per_sample: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(Gecko:6471): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(Gecko:6471): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(Gecko:6471): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(Gecko:6471): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

Segmentation fault
    Hi rokytnji,
    I tried the link you posted and it gave me a 404 error. Would simply trying to access the Google home page use flash?

Thank you all for your help,
    Don
    Last edited by bigtomrodney; 04-16-2009 at 06:04 PM.

Just Joined!

one more thing

Hi again,
    I just tried looking at the terminal messages again. If I just launch Firefox, and it doesn't crash, I still get the first 42 lines of the error message. It appears that everything I do with firefox is generating the lines that start with Gecko, but the 4 digit number after the word Gecko changes with each launch of the program.

Don

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Jungk View Post
    Hi rubberman,
    I agree it does sound like a change here, but I keep close track of changes and I have changed nothing in months.

Hi Devils Casper:
    Yes, I should have thought of looking for messages in the terminal. I tried it several times since the crash is intermittant. I get a huge list of errors every time, whether it crashes or not. Here is the error list from the one time that it crashed. It ends with a segmentation fault:
    dpjungk@2[~]$ firefox

Segmentation fault
    Maybe the site you are viewing is trying ot pwn your system? Firefox is dying from a segment fault (accessing NULL pointer, stack overflow, writing to protected memory, etc). I would remove the flash plugins (including the wrappers in /usr/lib...), uninstall Firefox totally, then reinstall the fox and get a new flash plugin from Adobe. There have been security fixes recently that reduce the ability for malware to compromise your system via flash videos. Also, get the latest version of Firefox that you can ( 3.0.7 or 3.0.8 ).

One last thing is that if you are running x86_64, don't run the 64-bit version of Firefox - stay with the x86 (32-bit) version as 64-bit Firefox still has problems with a lot of plugins.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just last night I couldn't get into gmail from Firefox. It kept blinking and would never load. I upgraded Firefox to the latest and it solved the problem. Perhaps there is a beta or newer you could try.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Guru
    Sorry you get a 404 error. When I click on the link it takes me to
    [Bug 221668] Re: (firefox:8047): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
    using my Firefox Browser. Dapper Dans and Rubber Mans suggestions sound pretty good for you to try out though because all I had was Glib errors and none for Gecko. I also run the latest versions of Firefox and Iceweasel that are available/stable at the time.

Just Joined!

Smile problem solved, I guess

Hi all,
    I posted the original question. After reading the ideas suggested here and researching with Google for a few days, the problem disappeared by itself. I changed nothing. I wish all problems were this simple.

Thank you all very much,
    Don

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast