Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am and artist who is new to Linux via Ubuntu running in Fusion in OS X. I have to admit that I have not liked any Linux graphics programs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wet Dream Installation

I am and artist who is new to Linux via Ubuntu running in Fusion in OS X. I have to admit that I have not liked any Linux graphics programs I have tried yet that are easy to install and prefer working in Photoshop, Painter and similar programs in Windows and Leopard.

Wet Dream, however offers the promise of a better watercolor simulation than any in the Windows or Macintosh world so I have been frustrated that it requires a great deal of technical knowledge in order to install it so I am hoping for some help figuring this out. I am someone who is used to automatic installs and has no tech background at all - plain English and little words are required).

The software is found here:

Wet Dream

I do believe it requires Krita being installed (I have Krita already installed) as it is a plug-in for Krita with the promise of one day being a GIMP plug-in. I am able to download the software via the link provided but I do not understand the installation instructions. It says:

You'll need Gtk+ 1.2. A Wacom pad really helps but is not absolutely necessary. Download wet.tar.gz, untar, type make, and you should have a usable binary.

What is "type make"?

What is a "usable binary"?

How does this become plugged into Krita?

What is "Gtk+ 1.2"?

If I could make this work it would be wonderful. Or perhaps someone knows of other natural media apps for Linux that might also be interesting to try?

Okay if you have downloaded wet.tar.gz you need to extract it (tar.gz is similar to zip files in Windows). To extract use the command

Code:
    tar -zxf wet.tar.gz
    You should now have a directory of files (called wet). If you go into that directory and type the command

Code:
    make
    you will compile the source code and be given and executable (an .exe file in windows) that you can run. You may need to first install make, gpp and build-essential if you don't already have them installed before make will work:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install make gpp build-essential
    That is it all explained but if you are still having trouble then to do all this you can just run these commands in a terminal:

Code:
    wget http://www.levien.com/gimp/wet.tar.gz
    tar -zxf wet.tar.gz
    cd wet
    make
    Linux User #453176

Just Joined!
    Kieren,
    I really appreciate your very fast and detailed response.

Of course I am still totally confused. The last part is clear because you say use Terminal but the first two thirds of your instructions you say things like "use the command". Do you mean in Terminal for those commands also?

I am not sure about "make, gpp and build-essential" Are they applications that can be found online?

To be perfectly honest the thought of doing something in Terminal frightens the s*** out of me. I have only ever used the Terminal once before many years ago and it was with a technician guiding me over the phone.

I am determined to try to understand this and somehow get the software working but as you can see I am the sort of user who is very experienced with using graphics software but know next to nothing about tech stuff. I appreciate your help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Sorry, yes you are right. All the commands need to be typed into the terminal. Donít be too afraid of the terminal Ė it is very useful but do be aware it is powerful so take care of what you type in, especially when copying commands from sources such as the internet as people can be horrible!

What I described in the first two thirds is explaining what is going on with each command. The last set of commands is just everything put together.

The program you are trying to install has been supplied to you as source code. Source code is just all the code that the developers have written in their chosen programming language (For example c or c++). You need to compile this yourself to turn in into an executable and that is why you need to install make, gpp and build-essential. These are free and on Ubuntu you can install then by typing the following command in your terminal:

Code:
    Apt is a package manager and is the recommended way to install software on Linux. Most software is available through a package manager although some of the more obscure software like Wet Dream isn't always. Iíd advise reading up on package managers, they are very simple but are a different way of installing software than you will be used to from Microsoft Windows

Installing from source is quite a difficult task and as a new user to Linux you have dived in the deep end attempting it. Itís a good way of learning though so if you have any further questions just ask
    Linux User #453176

Just Joined!
    I am wondering if there is something about this that might complicate things. I am running Ubuntu as a virtual machine in VmWare Fusion. The Terminal is in OS X. Would the commands in the Terminal in OS X automatically work within the virtual machine with Ubuntu in it but not affect anything in Windows XP which is also on a virtual machine in Fusion, and also affect nothing in OS X. The Windows and Ubuntu are comparatively unimportant if they get damaged but my whole life and work is in OS X so I cannot afford to get anything wrong in OS X via inappropriate use of the Terminal.

I smiled at you reference to Windows and the implication that I might find installing things in Windows familiar and easy as as a Mac user I find it very stressful doing any more than the most basic things in Windows - although in years past I found Mac OS 9 even more difficult

Wet Dream is the only reason I installed Linux in the first place as I am a watercolor painter unsatisfied with the watercolor simulations found in Painter, Twisted Brush and other programs that are easier to install. GIMP, Krita, and other graphics apps in Linux are too limited for me to think seriously about using them but Wet Dream as described and illustrated is likely to be worth jumping into very deep water like this. I have looked at it several times over the last year and have concluded that I need to bite the bullet although I must admit, though when I first saw your post with instructions in Terminal commands my first thought was to give up.

Right, I think you are using the wrong terminal here. You need to open a terminal in Ubuntu, not OS X. To open a terminal in Ubuntu go to:

Code:
    Applications menu -> Accessories -> Terminal.
    This terminal won't effect your OS X installation. On a different note I would back up all your work! It is not a good idea to keep your work all in one place

Don't be put off with the terminal if you end up using Linux you will find yourself using it more and more as it is a very quick way of doing things. People tend to say they will never use it (my girlfriend being one of them) and then after a while they always have several terminals open doing different things

Remember you are learning a new operating system that isn't like Windows or OS X. It is going to take a while to get to grips with it but if you keep with it you will get there
    Linux User #453176

Just Joined!
    Ahhh, that makes all the difference and I am feeling confident now to proceed which I will be able to do later tonight. I will post here the results. I suspect that I will be able to get through the compiling part but might then get stuck at the actual running the program stage as I am not clear on what I will need to do at that stage.

Regarding back ups I may not be technical but I am a backup fiend with at least 3 copies of my hard drives contents at all times from bootable clones to Time Machine/Time Capsule back up which include virtual machine snapshots. Thank goodness for today's low prices on external hard drives!

Just Joined!
    What I don't understand is why a Krita plugin, Krita being a KDE/Qt based application, would need Gtk+

I think it was the application "Wet Dream" that required Gtk+, not Krita
    Linux User #453176

coz
    Just Joined!

Hey artistjoh

Hey artistjoh,
    Wet dream is not going to satisfy you watercolor neds.
    I have used it now for a few years.
    No save no options to resize images ...this was essentially suppose to be a demo plugin for Gimp and at this point Gimp devs are not going to incorporate "wet pixel" capbilities.
    There are essentially no applications on any platform other than Corel painter that are going to emulate watercolor appropriatly.
    i have tried them all by the way and Painter 11 is the only one close to natural media .
    Someone needs to create wet dream into a small application with all save resize etc options ., because the actual painting parting is about the best watercolor simulation I have seen implimented in any application on any platform.
    hope you are not too disappointed... I have tried to contact the Wetdream developer but he is unreachable ... at least up to the date of this post.

coz