Find the answer to your Linux question:
I posted this problem to another linux forum and got several reads but no answers. I'm hoping that linuxforums.org can help me out! First off I know this isn't an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Evolution 1.4 Contacts help

I posted this problem to another linux forum and got several reads but no answers. I'm hoping that linuxforums.org can help me out!

First off I know this isn't an Evolution board but it's the closest thing I've got. I didn't see a forum on Novell's site and all the boards on Ximian's old site seem to be gone. If my question is in the wrong place I'd appreciate someone directing me to an alternate board.

I've been using Evolution since before 1.0 and I've managed to port my mailbox from system to system, switching distributions without any problems.

About a month ago (after being on Fedora Core 2 for several weeks) I was sending an old friend an email when I realized that I needed to update his address in my Contacts. When I clicked on 'Contacts' I was instantly greeted with a "The Application 'evolution' has quit unexpectedly" message and it gave me the option of restarting evolution or quitting to the desktop.

It wasn't a big deal and I had more pressing issues so I ignored the problem. Evolution worked fine for me and I could add people from my Contacts to emails without any problem. The only two issues were that I couldn't add any new Contacts and I couldn't change existing information in existing entries in Contacts.

As my workload dropped I took the situation more seriously. I tried moving the evolution folder to a new directory, relaunching evolution, quitting, then moving back the 'local' folder but that didn't help any.

I tried creating a new user in Fedora, moved the evolution folder over to the new user, chowned all the appropriate directories and still saw the same behavior.

I've reinstalled evolution and that didn't make a difference.

I checked my wife's account on the same system and her evolution is working fine so the problem is tied directly to this evolution folder.

I also tried launching evolution from the command line to see if there were any obvious errors. This is what I got:

Code:
    [prospectofdeath@hostname prospectofdeath]$ evolution

(evolution:3184): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_set_valist:
    construct property "type" for object `ESplash' can't be set after
    construction

(evolution:3184): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: value "-4.000000" of type
    `gdouble' is invalid or out of range for property `width' of type
    `gdouble'

(evolution:3184): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1561
    (g_object_ref): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(evolution:3184): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer
    instance

(evolution:3184): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gsignal.c: line 1634
    (g_signal_connect_data): assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)'
    failed

instance

failed

(evolution:3184): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1561
    (g_object_ref): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

instance

failed

instance

failed
    [prospectofdeath@hostname prospectofdeath]$
    Does anyone have an idea of what I should try next?

Thanks in advance.

Linux Guru
    I had this problem but with e-mails rather then contacts. It was in evolution 1.4. I posted everywhere to try and fix it. Re-installed and sent e-mails by the dozen. Evntually I gave up and tried to delete the enitre folder. Re-initialized evolution and worked. Of course I lost all my data. I tried to copy my e-mails to the new folder but then I got the error again, so I stuck to the new one. It happened two more time before I threw the whole thing away. It just wasn't worth losing all my info every three weeks.

Sorry I couldn't offer more. I've come to the conclusion that Evolution just will randomly corupt some data beyond use. That sucks. Scine then, I've seen this happen to three or four different people, too.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the information. I was hoping someone would say "oh did you try using this undocumented database repair tool?" but it must not exist.

I can open the Contacts file with vi and I can pull out most of the information but it's going to be an ugly task. I doubt even sed/awk will help.

Linux Guru
    Perhaps someone else can be of more assistance.

<ben stein voice>Anyone... Anyone... Anyone</ben stein voice>

Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    I wouldn't hold my breath.

So far no one has bitten (aside from you) on the 4 message boards I've posted this problem.

Is there a general Evolution message board anymore?

Just Joined!

Perhaps a fix...

Hi,

I tried to copy a backup on a new Install Evolution 1.4.

So far so good... Everthing worked perfct exept of one little thing... I couldn't Edit oder Delete my Contacts...

Now I spend the last 3 hours finding out how to fix it.

The bug was, that I copied the "addressbook.db" from a CD in the local/Contacts dirctory and didn't change the right for the file.

so maybe your look like mine (-r--r--r-- 1 user 32768 Oct 19 032762:05 addressbook.db) than you should make it look like this "-rw-r--r-- 1 user 32768 Oct 19 032762:05 addressbook.db"

... was man nicht im kopf hat ...