Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all!! I have been using linux for a few months now. I got tired of Vista. I am jumping in and asking questions already. I need an opensource program ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need an opensource program

Hello all!! I have been using linux for a few months now. I got tired of Vista. I am jumping in and asking questions already. I need an opensource program that will let me turn my writing into fonts. Does anyone know of a good program for that?? I do a lot of digital scrapbooking stuff and would love to turn writing into fonts. Any and all help will be appreciated. I am still in the learning phase of Linux, so I need something easy to understand and basic to install. Also, forgive me for using bad words here, but my laptop still uses windows and I would like a program that will work with windows, too. I need my photoshop for some things so I have to keep two different OS!!

Melanie

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

I'm not totally sure that I understand what you are looking for so can't offer up any specific applications, but you can check LinuxAppFinder.com for some application options that might work for you.

You can take a look at GIMP as a potential and eventual replacement for Photoshop. Other options would be to dual-boot as you suggested above, and you can take a look at WINE, as it might work with some Windows apps if you want to run them under Linux.

Best of luck with your efforts.
    oz

Are you looking for hand writing recognition for Linux ... ie you have a Tablet ?

If so, look at Xournal.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,
    but most of them pick themselves up
    and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill

... then the Unix-Gods created "man" ...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I have a tablet for my laptop. I would be drawing out my own font or digbat alpha. I would need a program that woud then turn it into a font file. I am sorry if I was unclear at first. I can be like that at times!!

The only thing I can think of would be Cellwriter, that may come close to what you are describing ... though I am still not exactly clear on what you want to do.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,
    but most of them pick themselves up
    and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill

... then the Unix-Gods created "man" ...

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by dxqcanada View Post
    The only thing I can think of would be Cellwriter, that may come close to what you are describing ... though I am still not exactly clear on what you want to do.
    Cellwriter is a handwriting recognition program. What I was reading is that he wants something that can take his calligraphic input, and turn it into fonts / font files that the Xorg can use for general display purposes. Different sort of beast.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Maybe check out FontForge.
    FontForge
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by GNU-Fan View Post
    Maybe check out FontForge.
    FontForge
    That looks like what he is searching for, though I have no idea how well it works. My calligraphic skills are third grade level at best, as are my drawing skills. I do well, sort of, with stick figures. However, if you ask me to a hot jazz jam session, I'm your guy!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!