Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have a Mandriva 2009.1 Powerpack install on a netbook with 160GB hard drive space. Unfortunately I used the default install but also chose to copy the whole DVD ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Question about using GParted-Extended Partition

Hello, I have a Mandriva 2009.1 Powerpack install on a netbook with 160GB hard drive space. Unfortunately I used the default install but also chose to copy the whole DVD to the hard drive but now I am unable to boot since the root is 100% full. I want to avoid having to do a reinstall so am hoping I can simply repartition it. On another forum someone suggested I use Gparted.

I downloaded the Linux System Rescue CD and ran GParted. I removed from space from /dev/sda6 ext3 so that I have some free space. I probably removed more than I needed to but here is what GParted is currently showing:

/dev/sda1 ext3 7.81GB
    Extended:
    /dev/sda2 ext 141.24
    /dev/sda5 linux-swap 3.90
    /dev/sda6 ext3 98.28
    unallocated 39.06

Once I had the unallocated space I figured it would let me move that space onto /dev/sda1. Unfortunately it won't let me add there but only in /dev/sda5 or /dev/sda6. Is there a way I can move that space to /dev/sda1?

It seems part of the problem is other than the root the other partitions are all on an extended partition and that it's not allowing me to move hard drive space between the extended partition and root. Is this possible?
    I don't want to have to reinstall Mandriva again. If necessary are there other tools I can use to even do a backup of my hard drive and then repartition and then restore from my backup?

/dev/sda2 ext 141.24
    Is it 141 GB or MB? What is in this partition?

Once I had the unallocated space I figured it would let me move that space onto /dev/sda1. Unfortunately it won't let me add there but only in /dev/sda5 or /dev/sda6. Is there a way I can move that space to /dev/sda1?
    Thats right. Free space is at the end of Harddisk and Extended Partition is in between First partition and free space. You have to move free space.

Merge free space in Extended partition. Resize /dev/sda6 and allocate all free space to it. Resize /dev/sda6 from left size. Free space will be between /dev/sda5 and /dev/sda6. Resize /dev/sda5 now. Do the same until you have free space near /dev/sda1.

There are a lot of tools available for partition cloning or backup but if its a fresh installation then I would suggest you to re-install. Create correct partition structure this time.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I started moving all the data between partitions so that it's now next to the partition I need to resize. The only problem is it won't allow me to resize the root partition. The only reason I can think of is that the unallocated data even though next to the root partition is on an extended partition. Is there any way to move it out of that onto the root partition?

Which Partition Manger are you using? Could you attach screenshot of your Hard disk partitions?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I'm using GParted. I just solved the problem. I needed to move the unallocated space out of the extended partition.

Just Joined!
    Nevermind my previous post. I just got it solved.