Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi gang, I just finished putting Xubuntu on my laptop and now I want Open Office. I downloaded the file from the Open Office website. I untarred it and put ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Open Office woes

Hi gang,

I just finished putting Xubuntu on my laptop and now I want Open Office. I downloaded the file from the Open Office website. I untarred it and put it in a folder on the desktop called "Untarred." It appears to be a Java file. In any event, it created a new folder called ooo300_m15_native_packed-1.en-us.9379. In this folder is another folder called RPMS. There is a file in that folder called ooobasis3.0-core06-3.0.1-9379.i586.rpm. I tried running the rpm -ivh [filename] command and got the following error message:

error: failed dependencies:
    ooobasis3.0-core01 is needed by [filename]

Also, in the folder listed above in red, there are two other directories and two files. The directories are "installdata" and "licenses". The two files are called "setup" and "update", neither of which seems to do anything. When I double-click on the "setup" file, I get this message:

Error: Java Runtime Environment (JRE) not found in directory: RPMS (exit code 4)

What gives? I can't find that file at rpmfind.net. Not sure what to do.

Also, the RPMS File Manager will show me the rpm file and when I double-click it I get the following error:

rpm2cpio: /home/michael/Desktop/untarred/OOO300_m15_native_cpio: premature end of archive.

I am lost. I was under the impression that I could download OO and all would be well in the Land of Oz when I tried to install the program. No such luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Mike

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, Xubuntu should already have OOo installed on it, by default. If not, go to a command-line window and enter the command: sudo apt-get install openoffice.org
    That should resolve the dependencies for you.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I just installed Xubuntu a day or two ago, and even though I didn't look for it, I'm pretty sure OOo is already there. If not, just follow Rubberman's suggestion and install with the package manager.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    And I just installed Ubuntu 9.04 yesterday on my laptop. OOo is definitely there.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Open Office Woes

Using the apt-get install openoffice.org command worked beautifully!! It fully installed and is working like a champ. I am not familiar with this apt-get stuff. I just ordered two books on Ubuntu and hope to learn a lot more. Thanks a ton for the answer to my question!!

Good day!!

Mike

Glad to know you got it going! As far as getting used to commands, your best friends will probably be <Linux> - Google Search and the man pages. Open the terminal, and type man <command>. For example:
    Code:
    man apt-get
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.