Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, Ubuntu 8.04 Firefox Adobe Reader 9 Adobe Reader doesn't start on browser. On browsing websites having .pdf fire they ask to install Adobe Reader. However Adobe Reader 9 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Problem starting Adobe Reader on browser

Hi folks,

Ubuntu 8.04
    Firefox
    Adobe Reader 9

Adobe Reader doesn't start on browser. On browsing websites having .pdf fire they ask to install Adobe Reader. However Adobe Reader 9 is running on this box.

Applications -> Office -> Adobe Reader 9
    starts the application.

$ locate nppdf.so
    Code:
    /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so
    /root/.mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so
    /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/nppdf.so
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/nppdf.so
    /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so
    $ ls -al /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so
    Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 10490 floppy 179552 2009-02-28 08:14 /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so
    $ ls -l /root/.mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so
    Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 179552 2009-04-25 21:56 /root/.mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so
    $ ls -l /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/nppdf.so
    Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 179552 2009-04-25 21:56 /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/nppdf.so
    $ ls -l /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/nppdf.so
    Code:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 179552 2009-04-25 21:56 /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/nppdf.so
    $ ls -al /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so
    Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 179552 2009-04-25 21:56 /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so

nppdf.so is already there. Please advise how to solve the problem. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Linux User
    I use Ubuntu 8.04 and use the pdf reader (called document viewer) that came with it, with no problems. When I click on a pdf it gives me the option to open or save it. I would imagine that acrobat reader should work the same way. On second thought maybe not if it's installed under Office. Try ignoring acrobat and just click on the file, you may find that acrobat is unecessary. I haven't installed it for linux since I switched from SUSE 9.3 to Ubuntu about three years ago. Document Viewer works under my Opera installation also.
    Registered Linux User #420832

Just Joined!
    If you really want to use Adobe Reader with Firefox you may go to Edit>Preferences, tab 'Applications', 'Portable Document Format' and set the default to Adobe Reader if you can.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by klokh View Post
    If you really want to use Adobe Reader with Firefox you may go to Edit>Preferences, tab 'Applications', 'Portable Document Format' and set the default to Adobe Reader if you can.
    Hi klokh and Hal343,

Thanks for your advice.

I already got it done pointing to Adobe Reader 9.1. However my banker's website still asks to download Adobe Reader 5.0. I don't know why?

B.R.
    satimis