Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running the ALSA sound driver on a CentOS 5.3 system and the KDE 3.5.4 desktop. Mostly I use kmix to control sound, but it doesn't have any balance ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.

Audio balance control

I am running the ALSA sound driver on a CentOS 5.3 system and the KDE 3.5.4 desktop. Mostly I use kmix to control sound, but it doesn't have any balance control, just input/output volume and such. How do I control the stereo balance on this system? The speakers don't have any hardware balance control, so I need to do this under software control. I have dual-input Bose speakers, and my Windows system can control the balance, but I need to do it under Linux as well.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, I can adjust the balance of a playing audio file with Audacity, but nothing for the system as a whole, VLC, Kaffeine, etc. Anybody out there know how to fix this? Please? TIA.

I couldn't find much on this. There is a guide for Arch Linux for setting up an alsa system wide equalizer using the ladspa plugins, that might help you get what you need.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    I couldn't find much on this. There is a guide for Arch Linux for setting up an alsa system wide equalizer using the ladspa plugins, that might help you get what you need.
    Thanks. It might help, though some things specified are not in my yum repositories. At least it gives me somewhere to start. Any further suggestions, or solutions would be appreciated. I ain't there, yet!