Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Folks, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but please Guide me: I have recently installed STAF (Software Testing Automation Framework) on my RHEL ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trouble executing STAF binary

Hi Folks,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but please Guide me:

I have recently installed STAF (Software Testing Automation Framework) on my RHEL 5 machine. I have updated the PATH variable with the location /usr/local/bin/staf

but I am not able to run the STAFProc binary (or any other binary) for that matter from the staf directory. I am the root user and the error given while running "STAFProc" binary (and other binaries) is:

"Cannot execute the binary file" or something like "Unable to execute the binary file".

Could any STAF users guide me on how to fix this issue?

It'll be of great help. Let me know if any information is required to analyze this.

Thanks a bunch.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If STAF installed some shared libraries as well, then you need to set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH to find them since it appears that you installed STAF in /usr/local.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I'm sorry but how exactly do you set it?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by notty_lad View Post
    I'm sorry but how exactly do you set it?
    Edit your ~/.bash_profile file. Add the following line (exactly as shown) to the end of the file:
    Code:
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/lib/staf
    That will add the /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/lib/staf directories to the library path, so that when an application loads shared libraries, it will find the ones there as well as in /usr/lib and /lib. Also, is /usr/local/bin/staf the directory where the STAFProc executable lives? After editing and saving your .bash_profile you will need to logout and login again in order for the library path to be updated for your entire environment. Each user needs to do this, unless you add the export command as shown to /etc/bash_profile.

If the error persists, then you need to look at the permissions of the /usr/local/bin/staf directory as well as the STAFProc executable. They may not be correct.

One final thing, is that if you installed a binary package, then it might not be for your platform. IE, if it is a 64-bit executable and you are running a 32-bit OS, or it was built for Solaris and you are running Linux, etc. If you built and installed from source, then it should definitely not be a platform issue.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!